Category: Drama

Warning: Angst

Rating: NC-17 Expect sex, rape, swearing, drug use, and violence. Definitely for mature readers.

Notes and Synopsis: Post fourth season, after Vecchio's return, but not taking into account COTW since I haven't seen it. What if the roles were suddenly reversed? What are the limits to "duty"? Here's Fraser's exploration of this question. I don't like his answer and I doubt you will either.

What Price for a Mountie's Soul?

by: Marie-Andr&eactute;e

www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Network/9492 uskeba@hotmail.com

Fraser opened his cerulean eyes slowly, stretching his arms over his head in a most cat-like manner. A glance at the bedside clock said it was six. He had an hour and a half to get to work and he mentally planned his day. A hot shower, breakfast, a walk with Dief, work, lunch with Ray--it was so good to have him home!--sentry duty, dinner with Kowalski. Fraser got out of bed slowly, glancing around his new apartment. It wasn't much better than his last one, to Ray's dismay, and it was smaller, but much bigger than the office he'd lived in for six months. It was wonderful to have a home of his own again, and this time he even had a private bathroom.

He allowed his shower to last twenty minutes, until the hot water began to run out. Ben wrapped a plain white towel around his middrift and stepped out of the tub, dripping onto the mat. He padded barefoot into his kitchen, putting some bacon on to cook while he dressed. Meticulously dressed in his jodhpurs and a white undershirt--he didn't want to risk dirtying a freshly dry cleaned uniform, Fraser cracked two eggs into the pan, then put some bread into the toaster. The eggs were done at just about the same time as the toast, which he buttered. He slid the whole works onto a plate and sat down to eat, watching in amusement Dief eat a bowl of kibble. Served him right for scarfing down a whole box of jelly doughnuts the night before! Done, Fraser quickly did his dishes, allowing them to drip dry.

"Come on, Dief, we have time for a brief walk before I have to leave."

Ray was right on time to pick Ben up and it was a happy Fraser who slipped into the passenger side of the Riv. He and Kowalski had somehow managed to find a new one before Ray had discovered that his old one had been blown up--again.

"Good morning, Ray!" Ray turned to the Mountie.

" Morning, Benny. Good to have things back to normal!" Fraser nodded.

"Yes. You've been gone far too long." Only six months, but they had been tedious, waiting for Ray to come back. Always a fear that the Detective's cover would be blown, that he would have changed. Undercover work was known to change a man, but in this case, it hadn't changed Ray Vecchio. Fraser was glad.

"See you at lunch, Benny."

"Yep. Bye, Ray."

Fraser quickly ran up the few steps into the Consulate. He was just a few minutes early, time enough to collect his thoughts. Thatcher had other plans, however.

"Constable!" she called as he passed her office. He grinded to a halt and went in to see her.

"Yes, Sir?"

"Close the door, Constable." He raised his eyebrows, and did as asked. "Sit down." Fraser sat. Thatcher sighed and handed him a thick envelope.

"I've been asked to assign you a very important--and delicate--matter, Constable. Of course, you have the right to refuse, but I don't suggest that you do." Fraser nodded, still holding the envelope.

"What is the assignment, sir?" She motioned towards the package he held

"Look in there. I'll fill you in on the details after."

"All right." Fraser lifted the flap and pulled out a thick wad of photographs and papers. He chose to flip through the photographs first, then wished he hadn't.

Women. Beautiful women. Naked and sensuous. At least, that's what Fraser guessed they were. These women had been slashed with an instrument almost to the point of being unrecognizable. He repressed a gag and looked up at his superior officer.

"Sir?" She took a deep breath.

"They're prostitutes, Fraser. Young Canadian women who came over the border looking for something better. We have to find out who's doing this to them."

"How do I fit in, Sir?"

"We need you to infiltrate the ring, Fraser. These girls all worked for the same group of pimps, only we have no evidence. You'd be working in conjunction with the FBI."

"And my duties would be..."

"Pimp, Fraser." He almost choked.

"Certainly, Sir, there are officers more suited to this task than me!" She shook her head.

"You're the only Mountie who knows Chicago almost as well as the local cops do, Fraser. Although you don't realise it, you have picked up a lot from the streets. You understand--and even use--some terms other officers would be unfamiliar with, but which are common here."

"I don't have this in me, Sir."

"The last body they pulled, Fraser, was a sixteen year old girl." His chin trembled. "You've done undercover work before, Fraser, bended your code of ethics a little for a greater good..." He gave a resigned sigh.

"I'll do it."

"Vecchio, in my office!" Ray had been on his way out to pick up Fraser so he wasn't pleased by this disturbance.

"What is it, Sir? Frasier's..." The look Welsh gave him made Ray's blood run cold.

"Sit down, Detective, and close the door." Obliging, Ray took a chair and looked up at his superior officer.

"Fraser won't be around for a while, Vecchio."

"Sir?"

"The details Thatcher gave me are very sketchy, but the bottom line is that the Mountie's gone undercover." Ray choked.

"Benny?" Welsh nodded seriously.

"Doesn't look like small time stuff, either. Thatcher said this assignment's just about as big as your's was."

"Why Frasier?" Welsh shrugged.

"Don't ask me."

"She say when he'll be back?" Welsh shook his head.

"No."

"Is he going to have a cover?"

"Yes. He's been transferred up north to Alert, wherever that is."

"Oh."

"Keep this between you and me, Ray. Just tell everyone Fraser had to suddenly go north and will contact them whenever he gets the chance.

"Okay."

Fraser took a distasteful look around the apartment. It was worse than any he had ever seen in his life. Filth was piled upon filth. He didn't even dare use the bathroom. There was evidence of mice and cockroaches too. And this was to be his new home until the end of the assignment. He was under strict orders to clean as little as possible. I'm Snake,' he repeated mentally. I am a pimp.' He shook his head. Oh, God! I can't possibly do this!' But you must,' a tiny voice answered in the back of his mind. What a nightmare.

He didn't even look like himself anymore. His hair was slicked back and he was under strict orders to grow a beard. He wore a ratty tee-shirt and holey jeans. He wasn't even allowed to shower except once a month or so. Snake' had to represent the worst that Chicago's darker side had to offer. Fuck. Shit. Bitch,' Fraser repeated aloud, but very quietly. Fuck. Shit. Bitch,' he said again, a little more loudly, with a little more conviction. This wasn't going to be easy. No way.

As darkness fell, Fraser prepared to go on the crawl. Look for lonely, scared looking girls,' he'd been told. And that's what he did. Thoughts of Christina Nichols and one wild Chicago night floated through his mind as he roamed the streets, looking for... prey. He saw one eventually, a trembling figure huddled in the doorway of a boarded up shop. He went up to her.

"Hey." She turned towards him quickly, fear radiating from violet eyes. Fraser wanted to gather her up and take her someplace safe and warm, but he couldn't. Not yet. "Ya lost?" he drawled. She shook her head, chin trembling. "Comeon, gorgeous. My place is just around the corner--" Fraser winced inwardly, that was just too eloquent for Snake. "Ya wanna crash the night? Got lots of space." She was still hesitant. "Comeon, babe, I ain't gonna try no funny business, promise." She nodded.

"Okay..."

"Ya kin call me Snake, luscious." Had he, Benton Fraser, actually said that?

"I'm Sandy, Snake." Fraser flashed her what he hoped was a lewd grin. Which it wasn't. Note to self', he thought. Practise lewd grin.'

Fraser--Snake--let Sandy into the wretched apartment.

"Bathroom's over there. Food's in the fridge." Sandy headed for the bathroom which Fraser had cleaned as much as he dared. Fraser was aching to make her a sandwich, to do something to help her, and he felt sick at the thought of what he'd have to do next. He was sitting on the bed when she came out about ten minutes later.

"Why don't you join me?" he asked, patting the space next to him. A look of fear crossed her face.

"You said no funny business." Fraser shrugged.

"Comeon, babe. Anything you've done before ain't funny business."

"I... I can't do that anymore. The last guy. He... he scares me, Snake." Without warning, Sandy started to cry. "I... I... I should never have left Montreal!" she sobbed. Fraser had to grin, despite the circumstances. He'd had luck this first night.

"Where can I find that guy?" She looked up at him, her eyes red and puffy.

"Why?"

"I find a pretty gal like you on my turf and I find out someone's been milking them. Well, I don't like it." The only thing that made this vulgar charade tolerable was the thought of how amusing it would be for Ray to hear Fraser talk like this.

"He... he hangs out at that club on Diversy. His name's Derek." Fraser shrugged.

"I don't normally do this, but I'm gonna let you go." He handed her one of Ray's business cards.

"Call this guy. He'll make sure you get home." It felt good to be Fraser again, even for just a few seconds.

Club Latifa was a smokey club like any other, reeking of cigarettes, booze, stale urine, and sweat. Fraser made his way up to the bar and signalled to the bar tender.

"Yeah?"

"Looking for Derek."

"Who's asking?" Fraser shrugged.

"He don't know me."

"Wait here." The bar tender nodded to a guy sitting at the bar and the latter stood up and made his way to a back room. Fraser knew he'd have to order a drink to blend in, so he did.

"Gimme a beer." A bottle was soon placed in front of him and Fraser tried not to look at it with distaste. He took a cautious sip. It wasn't nearly as bad as he remembered and he was sipping like a natural by the time Derek showed up. Derek motioned to the bar tender to get Fraser another.

"What ya want?" Derek asked Snake.

"Got any business for me?" Derek raised his eyebrows, eyeing Fraser critically.

"Maybe. Who sent you?" Fraser shrugged.

"I've got my sources."

"How do I know you ain't a cop?"

"I look like a cop?" Derek laughed.

"No cop could look like that. Yeah, I got business for you. Lots of activity at the corner of Greenstone. Need someone to keep it under control. Pretty girls those ones. Why don't we go upstairs and I'll introduce you to one? Once you're done, she'll introduce you to the rest of your girls. They give you everything they get, you give that to me. I give you forty percent and they get ten percent of that." Fraser nodded, sickness rising in his throat. Too much booze, maybe. Oh, god, what would he have to do when he went upstairs? Derek motioned for Snake to follow him and Snake did, trying to keep any hesitation out of his steps. He was led up to a dank little room.

"Wait a sec," Derek said and he left. He returned moments later with a bleached blond who couldn't have been a day over twenty. "Chloe," Derek said. "Make sure he has a good time and that he treats you right. Then introduce him to everyone.

"Okay, Derek." He left and she shut the door. Chloe turned her attention to Fraser. She pointed to the bed.

"Why don't you sit down?"

Fraser sat, resisting the urge to run out. She was a minor and he'd have to... Take a deep breath, Benny,' he could almost hear Ray say. You're Snake and Snake does this all the time.' Chloe went up to him and knelt in front of him, gently nudging his legs apart. Fraser trembled ever so slightly as she pulled down his zipper and worked her hand into his too tight jeans, freeing his cock. He groaned as she bent over him, taking him into her mouth, licking him like an ice cream cone. He moaned against his will as the rhythmic licking, then sucking, sent waves of pleasure pulsing through him. Victoria,' he thought. Pretend it's Victoria, just like that night.' His erection soon filled Chloe's mouth and she began to scrape her teeth along his shaft, retreating only after an orgasm rocked his body, making him whimper. Chloe let the now flaccid organ go, and it hung limply once again.

He'd enjoyed it. God, he was sick.

Chloe looked up at him.

"Was that good?"

"Yes. I mean, yeah." He knew that Snake would try to pursue matters, so he put a hand up to her breasts. She pulled away, shaking her head.

"That's enough, Snake. Consider that a freebie." Good, it was over. She motioned for him to follow her out of the room and back out into the night.

Fraser met his' girls that night, six of them, one blow job at a time, until he thought he'd go into sensory overload. They were all so young and it broke his heart to allow them to perform oral sex on him, but Chloe was standing by. If he refused, she'd certainly go to Derek about his curious behaviour and his cover would be blown.

One night would soon be like another, always the same, always painful. Screening clients for his girls, collecting the money, trying to find out where they were from, working himself slowly into Derek's confidence. Only one word could describe almost adequately kind, decent Benton Fraser's new world: Hell.

About a week into his new job' Fraser met Derek back up at the club. He automatically ordered himself a beer--he found he was drinking too much these days, but so long as he drank he could almost forget. Derek soon joined him and lit up a cigarette. He handed one to Snake who took it and accepted the lighter. Fraser tried not to choke as the cigarette smoke invaded his lungs. You're Snake,' he repeated mentally. Be Snake.' It was like a mantra which ran through his mind every day, every night,

"Wassup, Derek?" Derek took a swig of beer.

"I want you to teach one of my girls a lesson." Fraser swallowed. "Had a good fuck since you started working for me?"

"No."

"Let's go upstairs." Fraser was led up to the same room Chloe had given him a blow job in.

"Johnny's bringin' her in."

"Why don't Johnny punish her?"

"You've got a lot to learn, Snake. You don't punish your girls. That's for others to do." Within a few minutes, a young girl, sixteen, seventeen at the most, was dragged in flailing by Johnny. Derek went up to her and slapped her, sending her flying onto the bed. Fraser tried not to wince. Johnny left.

"You've been stealing from me, bitch?"

"No!" He hit her again.

"Tell me another one!" He ripped her blouse open.

"No!" Derek slapped her one last time and looked at Snake.

"Do her." Derek headed for a chair in a corner of the room to watch. There was no way out of this. Either way, this girl was going to die. But if he died too, then others would be murdered. Was saving a dozen or more souls worth the sacrifice of two? Yes.

The young girl tried to get up but Fraser just slammed her against the bed, throwing himself onto her. A hand worked it's way up her skirt and ripped away the silk panties. He forced two, then three fingers into her, making her cry out in pain. When she tried to pull away, Fraser brought himself to slap her.

"No!" she whimpered. Fraser ignored her as best as he could, trying to conjure up another time and place where the lovemaking had been mutual and beautiful. It worked and he felt his erection build up in his jeans. He quickly released it and drove himself into her, thrusting like there was no tomorrow, making her shriek. When she tried to pummel him with her hands, he grabbed her wrists with one muscular hand and forced them above her head. Derek looked on, smiling. The girl finally stopped flailing and Fraser thrust a few more times into her for good measure, his seed spilling into this child who had long ago forsaken her innocence. He pulled away and got up, pulling his pants up. He suddenly remembered Derek and turned towards him. Derek grinned and gave him the thumbs up sign. He got up and pulled something out of his pocket.

"Finish her off with this." It was a knife, much like the one Fraser had kept in his boot. Snake shook his head.

"I draw the line here, Derek." Derek raised his eyebrows.

"You want to work for me, you work that knife across her throat." Snake shrugged.

"Sure, I thought you were kidding." He grabbed the knife and went back to the bed. The girl had gathered herself up into a ball and her eyes were pleading with him. Please, don't kill me. Please, let me go.' Fraser took a deep breath, wrapped an arm firmly around her shoulders and brought the blade across her throat in one fluid, slicing motion. She gasped as the blood began to flow, then her head lolled forward. She was dead. Fraser let her go and she sank to the bed, soaking it with crimson life. Repressing his nausea, Fraser wiped the blade on the sheets and looked at Derek.

"Great job, Snake. You can go. Someone'll clean up here." Fraser went home' and spent the day vomiting.

This would be the first of several punishments Snake had to give, although he was never again asked to kill the girl, just give her a beating that would make her think twice the next time she tried to cheat Derek. The first few times, Fraser tried to rationalize what he had to do, but Snake soon took over, and Snake needed no excuse to brutalise a woman. Fraser just stood back in horror as Snake raped, beat, and humiliated at will.

During this time, Fraser collected information on Derek, took photographs, and kept contact with both the RCMP and the FBI who were fully aware of what was expected of Snake. No one gave it any thought that maybe they should pull their officer out of there. There wasn't enough evidence gathered yet to guarantee Derek being put away for a long time.

Weekly meetings with Derek and his other pimps became common and they soon escalated from being a gathering of beer drinking buddies' to something much worse in Fraser's eyes. The six of them had been sitting at a table in the back of the bar, playing poker. Fraser lost on purpose most games and spent most of the evening downing beer after beer. He was curious when he saw one his partners' pull a syringe out of his front shirt pocket.

"I got some good stuff," he said and the men grinned, Snake excepted.

"What stuff?"

"Comeon, Snake! I don't believe you've never had a good dose of smack!" Snake shrugged, Fraser trying to figure his way out of this predicament. "Comeon! Give me your arm." First booze, then rape, now drugs. Why not? Fraser, his senses dulled by the alcohol he'd consumed, barely felt the prick of the needle, but the drugs were not quite so discreet. The next day, he begged Derek to get him some more because Fraser knew that it would be expected of Snake to do so. Soon, Snake found himself shooting smack on his own, every day. Fraser discovered that he had nothing more to give to the streets.

The night eventually came when Derek offered Snake a chance to see him punish a girl. Fraser thought to call for backup, just in case. Derek went to work on the girl immediately, doing things to her which would have made Fraser vomit. When Derek pulled out his knife and started to make designs on the girl's stomach, Fraser knew it was over.

"Freeze, Derek!" The voice was authoritative enough to make Derek stop.

"What the fuck are you talking about, Snake?"

"RCMP. You're under arrest."

"What?!" Fraser could hear backup coming up the stairs and soon blue shirts burst into the room. Derek was read his rights and cuffed while the girl was tended to. She lived to testify. Fraser followed the last cop out of the room, knowing that there'd be someone to meet him downstairs to take his statement. Sure enough, an official figure with FBI' on his jacket led him to an unmarked car. He was at the twenty-seventh in under five minutes. Temporally, he had been close to his old world, but, spiritually, he could have been in the next galaxy.

Welsh greeted Fraser as he came into the squad room, ignoring the fact that the man before him looked nothing like Constable Benton Fraser of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

"Great job, Constable." Fraser looked up at him briefly, before pulling a cigarette out of his pocket. He lit up and puffed on it for a moment before speaking.

"What now?"

"Why don't you go into interrogation room one? Inspector Thatcher, the chief of the FBI, and I'll be along shortly to debrief you."

"Fine."

Welsh shook his head as he watched the Mountie head off for interrogation room one. He'd changed, that was to be expected, but Welsh had not anticipated this almost total lack of response, this edge to Fraser. What ever he'd seen and done during his time away had taken his integrity and his virtue, that was evident enough. There'd be time to worry about that later, though. He called Ray and told him to get his butt to the station. Ray arrived fifteen minutes later and Welsh made him sit down.

"We just wrapped up Fraser's case..."

"Benny's back?!" Ray cried gleefully, jumping out of his chair. "Where is he?"

"Interrogation room one, but..." Ray did not let Welsh finish. He bounded out of the office and was soon bursting into interrogation room one. Right away, Ray knew something was wrong. Fraser sat slumped over, wearing filthy clothes, his greasy hair going almost past his shoulders. He had a dishevelled beard. He stank.

"Frasier?" Fraser slowly looked up at his friend. Ray took a step back after one look into those eyes; eyes which housed undescribable pain, torment, and anguish.

"Hey, Ray." With trembling hands, Fraser went for his packet of cigarettes and lit up, taking a few long drags. Ray didn't know how to react. He went over to the Mountie and sat down in front of him.

"How long have you been smoking, Benny?" Fraser shrugged.

"Who cares?" He quickly finished his first one and lit up another. Ray winced.

"I'm glad you're back, Benny." Fraser didn't answer but focused on his cigarette.

"Solved any cases while I was gone?" Ray nodded.

"A couple. Four months, Benny. Geeze, feels like four years." Fraser shook his head.

"Four lifetimes. Four fucking lifetimes." Ray was taken aback. Fraser was unkempt, smoking, and swearing. "Find me a beer, willya?"

"I can't, Benny. Not yet. Welsh has some questions to ask you. Then Thatcher has to debrief you..."

"Fuck them. Fuck the whole system. And fuck you too." Fraser bounded from his chair and made for the door, but Ray was quicker. He grabbed Fraser by the arm.

"Listen, Benny. I don't know what's happened to you..." Fraser yanked his arm away.

"Exactly. So fuck off." He stormed out of the squad room, ignoring Ray's calls. Once Fraser had gone, Ray turned to Welsh who was standing in the doorway to his office, leaning on the doorjamb.

"What's happened to him, Lieutenant?" Welsh shrugged.

"It happens, Ray, when it's too much for an officer. We thought he was stronger than that."

"Geeze, Lieutenant! What's going to happen?"

"We have to ease him back into our lives slowly, Vecchio. Must be a real culture shock to come back to this. He's seen some of the worst stuff this world has to offer, Ray. He was so... optimistic, I guess, before. This assignment shattered every one of his beliefs. I'm hoping he'll bounce back. The police psych isn't betting on it, though."

"How could anyone have let this happen to him, Lieu? It's Frasier!"

"It's impossible to predict who's going to snap and who's not, Ray."

"That's not a good enough answer, Lieu."

"I know it isn't, Detective. I'm sorry."

"So am I. Do you know where I can find him?"

"He's gone back to his old place."

Ray knocked cautiously on the door of apartment 2A.

"Come in," a tired voice answered. Ray entered the sombre apartment, the stench of beer and stale cigarettes making him nauseous. Fraser was sprawled on his back in his bed, several empty beer cans around him. The ashtray on the table next to him was overflowing. "Oh, it's you."

"Yeah, it's me, Benny. And I'm not gonna take this. I won't let the streets take you. I won't." Fraser laughed sardonically.

"You're too late for that."

"No, I'm not. You're going to have a shower while I clean up your place. Then, we're going to dump this beer down the sink." His voice was authoritative and Fraser found that he couldn't refuse.

The shower felt... good. It wasn't degrading or humiliating or criminal. It was almost with pleasure that Fraser allowed four month's worth of filth to stain the water black and he watched it swirl down the drain. When he stepped out, he found that Ray had located relatively fresh, and more Fraser-like, clothes, and placed them by the door. Fraser rummaged through his medicine cabinet, finding a tube of deodorant. He applied some to his underarms, then dressed. He gave his shaving kit a look, but decided not to use it. He did brush his teeth, however.

During this time, Ray had opened up the windows to air out the place, dumped the trash into garbage bags, and begun to pour the beer down the sink. Fraser felt that he was watching this from behind a window, he didn't feel connected to this world any more. Ray turned around.

"Benny..." Fraser shook his head.

"Snake."

"Benny," Ray said more firmly and Fraser sighed.

"Yeah?"

"Let's go back down to the precinct and fill out those reports, okay?"

"Why bother? We put Derek in custody and another'll take his place."

"Who are you?" Ray asked.

"Who aren't I is the question to ask. I'm not Benton Fraser anymore. I'm Snake. I'm a fucking pimp who fucks sixteen year old girls--and likes it. That's who I am." Ray tried to swallow his distaste.

"That's Snake, not you."

"Snake is me."

"No, he isn't. You're still in there, Benny. I know you are."

"Fraser's dead." Ray shook his head adamantly.

"No he isn't, Benny. I refuse to believe that. We have to go back to the station, Welsh and Thatcher are expecting us."

"Fine." Fraser lit another cigarette and he puffed on it as he followed Ray out of his apartment. He had time to smoke four and start on a fifth by the time they reached the twenty-seventh.

Ray led him back towards interrogation room one where Thatcher and Welsh were waiting. On the way, Fraser collided into Frannie who had been on her way to deliver the Lieutenant and the Inspector a message.

"Hey, watch where you're going, bitch!" Fraser jeered, stopping Francesca in her tracks. This was too much for Ray. He slammed his fist into Fraser's jaw.

"That's going too far, Frasier! No one calls my sister that!" He prepared to throw another punch, but Fraser was on him first. He landed heavily on top of Ray and began to pummel him as hard as he could, unleashing a fury Ray had never seen in his life.

"I'll call the cunt whatever I want, you fucking piece of shit!" Soon, Welsh was prying Fraser off of Ray, restraining him as best as he could, allowing Ray to stumble to his feet, holding a hand to his broken, bleeding nose. No one knew who was more shocked by this outburst. Fraser had stopped flailing almost as soon as Welsh had grabbed him and he just stood there, panting, refusing to meet anyone's eyes.

"Huey! Get Fraser into lockup." Fraser complied.

The police psych was brought in and she spent over an hour with Fraser. She was smiling grimly when she came out.

"How is he?" Ray mumbled.

"He's in withdrawl."

"What?" Welsh and Thatcher asked at the same time.

"He's in withdrawl," she repeated. Heroine was pretty popular with his new pals. He's gone cold turkey." Welsh raised an eyebrow.

"This is good, isn't it?" The psych nodded.

"Very good. He's trying to regain some control of his old life. I've recommended that he go to a detox centre for a few weeks, to get him off both the drugs and the booze. Nasty crowd he was hanging out with."

"He say anything?" Ray asked. The psych shook her head.

"Not much. Right now, he's in the classic patient looking through a window mode."

"I'm sorry?" Thatcher said.

"It's like Fraser is looking at Snake through a window, Inspector. He could see Snake attack Ray, but was powerless to stop him."

"Like a double personality?"

"Almost, Lieutenant. I'll need the Inspector and Detective Vecchio's signatures to take him away."

"Why?"

"Detective, you are listed as Fraser's next of kin, and the Inspector is his superior officer."

"Oh. I'll sign."

"Me, too," Thatcher sighed.

A plain room with beige walls and grey flooring. Very much like the one in that psych ward he'd stayed in a few years before. Fraser unpacked his things, hanging shirts in the cupboard, putting underwear in drawers. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. The hand throbbed from hitting Ray and Fraser felt almost sick at the thought of what he'd done to his friend and of what he'd called Francesca. You're Fraser. Forget about Snake,' he repeated softly a few times, but lacking conviction. At one point during his undercover work, Snake had slowly strangled Fraser. Now, he had to find out if a little CPR could bring Fraser back. He acknowledged a knock at the door.

"Yeah?" A male nurse entered.

"Hi, I'm Sam. Just wanted to let you know we're serving dinner in about an hour."

"Oh, okay. Thanks."

"Are you comfortable?" Fraser shrugged.

"Sure."

"Need anything, just ask." Sam turned to leave.

"Sam?"

"Yup?"

"Is there anyone here who could give me a haircut?" Sam nodded.

"Sure. There's Lisbeth. I'll introduce the two of you at dinner."

"Thanks, Sam."

"No problem, Ben." Fraser winced.

"Fraser."

"Okay, Fraser."

Dinner was surprisingly good for an institution. This was a detox centre like none Fraser had ever seen. Here, the policy was to solve the problems that led to the drug use first, not the other way around as it was in most other centres. The staff here was friendlier, the help they were offering much more obvious. It felt safe and warm and Fraser started to relax. He met Lisbeth, a pretty little redhead with even more trainspotting than him. Sam introduced them and Lisbeth took a critical glance at his hair.

"You need a haircut."

"How much?"

"Ten cigarettes."

"Okay."

After the meal, patients had one hour to themselves before group therapy sessions began. Lisbeth took Fraser into a washroom, taking with them a hard plastic chair. She made Fraser lean over the sink and washed his hair, towelling it dry after. She told him to sit down. Draping another towel around his shoulders, Lisbeth went to work trying to comb through the mess of tangled curls. "Want anything in particular or should I, ya know, just cut?" Fraser shook his head and described his old haircut: very short and sculptured. Lisbeth went to work and Fraser closed his eyes. She was done in about twenty minutes. "Want a shave, too?"

"How much?"

"On the house. Just this time."

"Okay." When Fraser looked into the mirror a few minutes later he almost fell off of his chair. Fraser--not Snake--was looking back at him. Sure, this Fraser was but a pale substitute of the old one--pasty skin, gaunt expression, black rimmed eyes sunken into their socket--but gone was Snake's hardness. "Thanks a lot, Lisbeth."

"No problem, Fraser." She held out her hand and he counted out ten cigarettes from his pack. Upon second thought, he added five more. She grinned and put one to her mouth. Fraser pulled out his lighter, lit her cigarette, then did the same for himself. They smoked in silence.

Two weeks in the centre did Fraser a lot of good. His cravings for heroine and alcohol slowly diminished until they throbbed almost unperceptively, like an old bullet wound which refused to heal. The day came when Fraser was finally allowed a visitor. He was looking forward to seeing Ray, although apologizing for what he'd done and said was going to be hard. He'd promised his therapist he would, though.

Ray didn't know what to expect as he sat in one of the cozy chairs set up in the visitor's lounge. All he'd been told was that Fraser was ready to have visitors. A door opened and before Ray knew it, Fraser was sitting in front of him. It even looked like Fraser, he was wearing jeans and a faded plaid shirt. But the haircut and the shave were what made the biggest difference.

"Hey, Ray."

"Hey yourself, Benny." Fraser reached into his front pocket and pulled out his packet of cigarettes. He offered one to Ray who refused.

"Mind if I smoke?" Yes.'

"No, go ahead."

"I... I'm sorry." Ray's face had healed and the damage Fraser had inflicted was barely visible.

"It's okay, Benny. You were just messed up, that's all."

"Ain't no fucking excuse, though." Ray winced.

"What's the matter?"

"You swearing like that." Fraser shrugged.

"One thing at a time."

"I know, Benny." Ray looked away for a moment.

"You want to talk about it?" Fraser squared his jaw.

"There's nothing to talk about, Vecchio. You'll never understand. I should've backed out of there right away."

"Why didn't you?" Fraser laughed bitterly.

"And let those girls die? Become the laughing stock of the RCMP? Either way I was dead, Ray. Might as well do something useful." Ray looked down.

"Is it true what you said?"

"About what?"

"You and girls..."

"Oh, yeah. Tight little girls, pussies all wet and glistening, waiting for me to fuck them into oblivion." Fraser could have slapped him and Ray would not have been more stunned. "Part of the job, eh? Fuck the job. Fuck the force. There's things the police shouldn't do. Undercover work like that is one of em." Then, almost as an afterthought, "Did you ever have to kill anybody while you were Langoustini?" Ray shook his head.

"No."

"Did you ever have to rape a girl? Beat her beyond recognition because if you didn't your cover would be blown?"

"No."

"Did you ever take everything you believed in and throw it out the door because it was duty'?"

"No."

"That's what I thought, Vecchio." Fraser crushed his cigarette butt and lit another. "I can't be the man you knew, Ray," he continued a little more gently. "I'm beyond that. I'm trying to get better, to forgive myself for what I had to do. But you don't go from being Dudley-do-right to being a cop's worst nightmare and come out of it the same." Fraser's voice sounded choked. "I refused to believe that there were people like Snake in this world, Ray, and now I know that not only do they exist, I'm capable of being them. Oh, God, Ray!" Ray bounced up his feet and took Fraser into his arms, to the Mountie's surprise. "Let go of me, faggot!" he exclaimed.

"No, Benny. You're going to get this out of your system. You can beat me and call me whatever names, but I'm staying right here until you get it all out. What's it going to be, the hard way or the easy way?" Fraser looked up at Ray.

He started to cry. No warning. Just a great sob that threatened to swallow him whole. Then a torrent of tears. He clung to Ray like a drowning man would hold on to a piece of floating driftwood. And Ray just hung on to his friend for dear life, rubbing his back, making soothing noises. He'd help Benny get better, Fraser deserved that. The last thing he needed was to be deserted by the people he had once been close to.

Fraser cried for the better part of an hour, and the people from the centre wisely left him and Ray alone. At long last, the sobs subsided and Fraser pulled away.

"Thank you, Ray." His voice was raw.

"Anytime, Benny."

"Go away."

"Sure. I'll be here to pick you up next Friday, okay?"

"Whatever." One last pat on the back and Ray left. Fraser headed back to his room without a word or glance at anyone.

"You wanted to see me, Inspector?" Thatcher nodded.

"Yes. Please sit down, Detective." Ray sat. "Have you seen Fraser?" He nodded. "How is he?"

"Bad. Real bad. I'll never get used to a chain smoking, foul mouthed, vulgar Fraser, Inspector. It's like he lost himself and no matter how hard he tries, he can't find himself. He goes from being almost the quiet Benny he used to be, to... a monster, almost." Thatcher nodded thoughtfully.

"It's my fault." Ray shook his head.

"We can't pin this on anyone." Thatcher looked at him surprised.

"You know, Detective, I've been expecting you to give me a verbal bashing for sending him on this assignment." Ray shrugged.

"I saw the photographs, read the file. I'd have taken the assignment if it had been offered to me. On paper, it looked like something even Frasier could do, no problem."

"Thanks for coming, Detective."

"Anytime."

Fraser stepped into his apartment. Someone had come in and opened the windows to air out the place.

"Thanks for picking me up, Ray."

"No problem, Benny. Want me to stay?"

"If I wanted you to stay, I'd ask."

"Right."

"Can you drive me to the Consulate tomorrow morning?"

"Sure, Benny. Is eight o'clock okay?"

"Fine." Ray nodded and left.

The next morning, Ray was right on time to pick up Fraser. He knocked on the door. "Come in, Ray," Fraser called, so Ray stepped into the apartment. He was stunned to see that Ben was in a uniform shirt and jodhpurs, his brown serge tunic hanging neatly from the closet door handle.

"I made eggs. Ya want some?" Ray nodded.

"Sure, Benny. I didn't have time to eat."

"Figured that." Fraser gave Ray a hearty helping of bacon and eggs and a couple of slices of buttered toast, as well as a cup of black coffee. He sat down with the same, after giving Diefenbaker his share of the goodies.

"How's it feel to have Dief back?" Fraser smiled his first real smile in months.

"I missed him."

"I know. You're a pretty good cook, you know that?" Ray said, mopping up some egg yolk with his toast. Fraser did not answer. He quickly polished off his breakfast, drained his cup of coffee, and lit up a cigarette. Ray decided to let that go. Fraser was clean, sober, and at this moment, civil. That was good enough for now. It had to be.

They drove to the Consulate in silence.

"Want me to pick you up for lunch?" Fraser shook his head.

"No, thanks. I promised Ray I'd see him."

"Okay. Say hi to Kowalski for me."

"I will. Thanks for the lift."

"No problem."

Fraser went into the Consulate and headed straight for Inspector Thatcher's office. Her door was closed, so he knocked. She told him to come in. Thatcher was almost knocked off her chair. The last time she had seen Fraser he had been clean, but with the long hair and beard he had looked more like a disgruntled Jesus than the Mountie she had once loved. The man before her was well groomed, his face was clean-shaven, and he was even in uniform.

"Welcome back, Constable." He nodded.

"Thank you, Inspector." She handed him a sheet of paper. He didn't look at it.

"Are you ready to start working again?" He nodded.

"I think I need to. I will need a few weeks off in the near future, however." She nodded.

"I know. I'm sorry this had to happen." She pointed to the sheet he held in his hands and he read it, almost falling over once he was through.

"I'm refusing it, Inspector."

"I know you are, and I can guess why. I won't push you to accept this promotion, Fraser."

"Thank you."

"I put in your office a stack of things for you to do, Fraser, if you want to get back to work." He nodded and left without another word.

A few hours later, a knock at his door interrupted Fraser mid-sentence. He looked up.

"Ray!" he exclaimed truly happily.

"Hey, Fraser," the blond detective answered. "I'm glad I finally got a chance to see you."

"Me, too." The pair headed to a nearby restaurant for lunch, Ray asking Fraser to please not smoke in his car, but that he could go right ahead once they got to their destination. This lunch was the happiest moment of Ben's life in a long time. Ray and he had gone through even more than what he and the other Ray had gone through. Fraser realised that in many ways, he was closer to Kowalski than he ever could be to the prickly Vecchio. It was a strange thought.

"Ray?"

"Yeah, Fraser?"

"Why don't you come back to my place tonight? I'll get Ray over too and we could get pizza. These last months have been hell, Ray, and I'm never going to forget them. But you and Ray are just so great, just being there, making sure that I pull myself out." Ray grinned.

"You're our friend, Benton-buddy."

Fraser knew they would never go away, the feelings of anger and of betrayal, the need to express his thoughts loudly in a vulgar manner because there were no words in the vocabulary of the decent man he had been to describe the horrors committed by the man he had become. But it could get better. He was worth it, his friends made sure he knew that.

That night, the threesome gorged themselves on pizza and baseball, Fraser chain smoking as he would for the rest of his life.

The nightmares never went away. Dreams of slicing young girls' throats. Dreams of rape. Dreams of heroine-filled syringes.

Always this voice in the back of his mind, almost echoing the words he'd once said to Jack Huey, "It was your duty."

And that was the price of Fraser's soul, his duty.