Christmas Wish

by Chaser

Author's webpage: http://chaser8376.homepage.com

Author's disclaimer: I don't own 'em. Don't even think about being a scrooge and suing me!! :)

Author's notes: This is my second try at Fan-fic. be kind!! : /


This is my second try at fan fic, but first on a big one like this. Disclaimer: I don't own, I want to, but alas, I cannot. :( Summary: Ray Kolwaski is acting a little strange around the holiday season! Notes:Ok, like I said, second try. Please be kind!? : Feedback: Well, duh!! chaser8376@go.com

A Christmas Wish

The streets were covered in the sparkling white new fallen snow of Chicago. Carolers could be seen and heard far and wide and people bundled up to fight off the winter chill trying to get the most wanted gift of the year last minute. Alone, on a bench, sat a young man. He looked out at the frozen pond, seemingly lost in thought. Detective Stanley Raymond Kolwaski hated Christmas. He hated the fake air of absolute caring. The way people would treat one another nice on this day, but the day after Christmas, it would be back to the 'get-out-of-my-way-or-I'll-kill-ya' routine. He slowly rose to his feet, and walked to his car, his eyes fixated on the ground before him. He was suppose to work today and tomorrow. He wanted to bury himself in work so he could forget the awful season. But Welsh just told him to go home. To get some rest and enjoy the holiday. Welsh thought he was doing the detective a favor. Instead, he was just making it worse. "Thats not fair, Mike, I wasn't looking!!" "Thats the whole point stupid!"
Ray looked up. What the hell he thought to himself. SPLAT!!
"Shit." Ray said
"Ohh, now yer gonna get it Mike."
"Shut up Tim. Hey, mister. I'm really sorry about that. I was tryin' ta hit Tim, but he moved ya see and.." The kids voice was droned out when Ray remembered....

He drove carefully back to his apartment, got out of his car, and walked to his door. "Out so late on Christmas Eve?" Ray turned, a little startled but soon relaxed when he saw it was just his land lady. "Yea, work and all." Ray responded. The land lady quirked one eyebrow as though she knew the real reason behind his late arrival but just instead said, "Well, have a Merry Christmas." Ray merle just nodded his head in a acnoliging way and went into his apartment. He put his gun on the kitchen table and his coat on the back of the chair. He checked his messages and found the little red light blinking and pressed the PLAY button.

"Ray, its Fraser. I'm over here at the Vecchio's and we all were wondering if you would wish to join us. Call us at 555-BEEP!" Oh well, must be fate then.* Ray thought to himself.
Ray looked around at the small, dark apartment. No tree, no lights, not even one Christmas card could be seen. *Man, this is fucking depressing. Well, you did make it this way Kolwaski.* He thought of just taking the GTO and driving up to the Vecchios, but thought against it. "Fraser just needs to be with Vecchio. Don't be selfish Ray." *oh dear, your seriously becoming unhinged.* "I'm hanging around the mountie to much." he said to his turtle. He picked up the turtle food and put it into the turtles food bowl. He sighed, walked over to the couch and turned on the television. 'Bah! Humbug!" FLIP
"I must stop Christmas from coming, but how?" FLIP
"Even if my nose glows?"
CLICK!
The screen went blank. Ray put down the remote, grabbed his coat and walked out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AT THE VECCHO'S~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't think he's comin' Benny." Ray Vecchio watched as his friend was staring out the window toward the snow covered drive-way. Benton Fraser, Constable of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who came to Chicago...yada yada yada true friend of some undeserving if ya ask me. "I just don't understand why he would avoid me, Ray. Have I done something to offend him?" Fraser turned so he was facing Ray. "No, Benny. Sometimes, people just spend Christmas alone. Its just their way. Ya can't force someone to like Christmas." "Perhaps your right." "Ain't I always?"
"Oh , please."
Both men turned to see Francesca standing in the door way. "Ma wants ya guys to come and eat dinner." "We'll be right their Frannie."
Vecchio turned to go into the dinning room, where from all the way over on the other side of the house you could hear the Vecchio family arguing over something or another. "He ain't comin' Benny, come on. I'm hungry!" "Alright Ray."

Part 3

Fraser made his way into the dinning room where the Vecchios were about to begin their Christmas Eve dinner. On the dining room table sat everything Fraser had ever dreamed of a perfect Christmas. With the exception of Pemmican, but the delicious looking ham seemed to be a great substitute! He sat down in between Ray and his sister, Franchesca. "Raymondo. Please, say grace for us." Mrs. Vecchio, AKA Ma said. Everyone bowed their heads and held hands. Francesca took Frasers had, but with out the usual flirtatious ways. It seems, she had finally come to grips with reality and no longer through herself onto him. He was thankful for that because it did make him really uncomfortable. He looked at her, she looked at him and they both shared a smile. Then they both bowed their heads and listen while Ray said grace.

Across town, one very cold Ray Kolwaski once again found himself wandering a park in Chicago. "hahahaha, I caught it!!" Ray turned, half expecting a snow ball, half not, to see a man and what seems to be his son playing catch. "Way to go, son. Now, throw it back." the father said.
The boy pulled his coat puffed arm way behind his head, and threw the ball right back perfectly into his fathers mitt. "That was fantastic!! Why don't we try some butting now?"
"Ok!!"
The dad picked up the bat and for one brief second, Ray felt a stab of cold fear run through him. *what the hell were you thinking of throwing that snowball at him!? You know its hard enough to work there! Is that what you want, to make my life harder than it already is?

"No, I swear, I didn't even see him dad!!" "You didn't see him, ya hit him square in the chest Stanley!" "I'm sorry!" Ray began to cry. He knew he did wrong, but he didn't mean to. He was just trying to show his older brother he could be better than him. Maybe prove to his dad he was worth something. "Not as sorry as your going to be." Daimen grabbed his son by the arm and began hitting him relentlessly with his hands, and fists. Ray began crying louder, screaming for his dad to stop. Rays attempts to block his dads proved to be ineffective. He grabbed the closes thing, a bat and swung it. It missed his father by inches, but the intent was still there. Ray looked at his father with fearful eyes. He knew what was going to happen next. He closed his eyes, waited, and prayed.

part 4
"I hate you."
"Now Ray, just because I offered to go obtain a fine wine for your family leaves doesn't constitute for you to hate me." "Benny, you drag me out of a nice warm house, to below freezing weather with a very good likely hood we're going to run off down some dark alley chasing a "tree-snatcher" to uphold the mountie law of honor and I am no doubtlessly going to ruin another one of my suits." "Now thats just silly, Ray." "Ahh." Ray replied mimicking the Mounties favorite sound. The Riv cruised down the deserted streets looking for an open liquor store of any sorts to buy the "oh-we-can't-live-without-it-wouldn't-be-Christmas-without-it wine." "Ray, there. Tony said this is where it would be." "Meteor's Cavern? What kinda dumb jerks would actually go into this place?" "Obviously the same "jerks" as you say that are looking for a bottle of fine wine." "Benny, was that a joke? Did you just make a joke?" "Will, a certain attempt at one, yes Ray." "The mountie is becoming human!"
The duo walked through the door, laughing. Ray went directly to the bar counter to get the wine while Fraser looked around at the festive holiday trimmings. He was about to join Ray when he caught a familiar smell. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A few moments before~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ray Kolwaski shook his head to rid himself of the flashback. Whats the matter with me? I've got to forget this shit!? Watching the father and son playing for just a sec, he continued on his way to one place he knows no one in their right mind would go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~now~~~~~~~~~~
Fraser looked around, trying to place the smell. Whine! "What is it? No, you can not have that." "Whine!, Ruff?"
"Well, because your a wolf. Wolves are not suppose to consume any sort of alcohol." "whine, woof!"
"I don't care if your over 21. The answer is no." "grr."
"Oh for heavens sake."
"Talking to the wolf again, Benny?"
"Yes, ray. He believes he should..."
Fraser looked over Ray Vecchios shoulder to a man slumped in the corner of the bar. "Oh, Dear."
Tbc

part 5
"Ray?"
"what?"
But Frase ignored him.
"Ray?" He repeated
The man in the corner merle raised his head slightly. "Frase?"
Fraser looked down at his former partner. He looked awful. His eyes were bloodshot, and had the look of a man who had a great demon he was fighting. His clothes were rumpled, so far as to seem as though he stumbled in off the streets. Smelled just the same. "Hello, ray. What are you doing?" "Oh, nothing. the usual stupid stuff I guess." His voice was flat, lost of its previous energy the young detective seemed to have always had an abundance of. "Kolwaski? What the hell are you doing here." Vecchio said, just joining the group. He looked at the detective and saw the same thing Fraser did. "Whats it look like Vecchio?" Ray grabbed his coat, his keys and began walking out the door. Unsuccessfully. The first few steps were merle stumbles whereas the fourth was a fall on the floor right on his face. Kolwaski was out for the count. Dief ran over licking the detectives face. He looked at the two men as if to say, well, stupid. Pick him up. Lets go take care of our pack member. Ray and Fraser pick up Kolwaski and drove him,
"So."
"So, what Ray."
"So where do we take him?"
"His apartment, I presume."
"Fraser, Ma is going to have our heads if we're not their for Christmas Eve present opening. You know that." "Well, Ray. I guess that leaves only one place then."
"Thought so."

Tbc

Part 6

"Has Ma ever met Stan?" Ray Vecchio asked. Fraser turned his seat to look back at the sleeping detective. Then to Deif, who was poisoned on the detectives lap in a protective way. Have they met "No, Ray. I believe they have not." Ray pulled into his driveway, put the car in park. He opened the door and walked to the house. "Ray, what about Ray!?" "Hold on a sec. I'll be right back. Stay with him." Fraser, wondering what his friend and partner was doing, did as told.10 minutes later, Ma Vecchio came out the door muttering something in Italian. "Well, Bento. Pick him up. Lets get him inside, the poor car." Fraser, somewhat stunned, quickly got into motion and with Vecchios help, dragged a very heavy Kolwaski into the house. "Up to the guess room. He'll e more comfortable their. Christmas all alone, who would do such a thing?" The two partners place Kolwaski onto the bed. "out, out! This is a mothers business." Ma Vecchio shut the door right as Ray cleared it. "Ray, what did you tell her?" The door opened. "Shoo!"
"Oh nothing. Just how he," Ray took a deep breath and in one rush he said, "took a bullet for you, made a 0 a happy face, stood in a line up taking care of the family and watching out for my sister and best friend and partner. Plus, he was spending Christmas alone." "Ahh." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~1 hour later~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` 'not as sorry as yer gonna be!"
FLASH
"no dad, I'm sorry!'
you couldn't throw a snowball if yer life depended on it!!!" GRABBING A BAT. SWINGING IT . HORROR ON DAD'S FACE!!! *I'M GOING TO DIE!!*
PRAYING
"You little piece of shit!!!!!!!"
"AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"
Ray shot straight out of the bed and onto the floor, eyes wide, sweat shining on his face. *ok ray, its just a dream. Yer still good. Where are you?"
Ray looked down to the sheets and pillow he was still clutching to his chest. He looked to his left..
*Nope, no lady friend. Cross out getting lucky.* click. ERREK!!
"Stanley? Are you ok caro?"
*who's that?*
"Ray!"
"Fraser? What...who...how...huh?"
"Its ok Ray. Your at Rays house." Ray motioned Fraser to come closer. "Fraser, who's she?" he whispered.
"She's Vecchio's mother." Fraser whispered back. "Stanley, do you want some Christmas ham?" "Ham? Fraser, Whats going on?"
"What do you remember, Ray"
"I was at the bar, had a few drinks, now I'm here. Thats all I remember." "Ray, the other Ray, and I found you. You and I exchanged dialogue and you promptly, as you put it 'passed out.' and we took you here. Ma here has offered to take care you ." "You must eat, caro. You are nothing but skin and bones. Have you been eating well?" Ray looked at the lady as if she was from another planet. Why was this woman being so nice to him? What did he do to deserve it? He didn't want to wait around and screw it op. He began to get up, when he realized all he was wearing were his boxers and undershirt. "Where the hell are my clothes?" "In the dryer by now. They needed some good cleaning." "I'll get them for you, Ray." Fraser left the room, leaving him alone with the, in Ray's opinion, overly loving mother. Ray did not know how to handle someone like this. "Would you like some ham?" You looked half starved! you have not been eating or sleeping regularly. Don't deny it! A mother knows." "No thank you ma'am. I just want to go home." As Ray said that, he lowered his eyes and stared at a very fascinating floor. Ma Vecchio sat down next to the young man. "Who waits for you at home?"
"Huh?"
"Have you someone who you'll be with? Family? Friends?" He looked at Ma Vecchio and found he could not lie. He tried but all that came out were incoherent sounds. Finally he settled for the truth. "I do have a turtle. Otherwise,......no." "then why go home to no one to talk too to enjoy this festive day?" "'cause..'cause I. It's stupid." Ray cast his eyes away form Ma Vecchio and once again found the floor fascinating. Ma reached over with her hand and pulled Ray's chin up so his eyes met hers. "Stanley. Nothing anyone says or does is stupid. Tell me, why go home to no one?" "I don't like Christmas. I hate it! Its nothing but happiness and I'll find someway to screw up someone's Christmas. I did it with my family, I did it to Fraser and I'll do it here. So please, Mrs Vecchio, just let me leave. I don't want to ruin your Christmas. Just let me go home." Ray, close to tears, tore himself form Ma's loving gaze and looked outside the window. He heard he get up off the bed, walk to the door and close it. He swung his head in the doors direction and cursed himself for losing his temper and scaring her off like that. On the end of the bed, he saw his clothes. *Fraser must have heard some of that. God, I suck!* He quickly got dressed when he heard screams and laughter of pure, innocent joy. He looked out the window and say Ray Vecchio playing baseball in the snow with the kids outside. He saw Ray pick up the bat and swing it.

*Young Ray Kolwaski prayed. Prayed he could make it through this. He was unprepared for the blow and the pain that shot through his ribs. His side feels as if it was on fire! More pain shot through his little body as his father hit his other side with the bat. The hits kept raining upon him. Above his screams of pain and mercy, he heard a snarling growl. Doomsday! It was his dog! D-day ran toward his father and bit down hard on his leg. His father roared in pain and anger, dropping the bat to clutch his wounded leg. Ray stumbled to his feet, each movement causing new waves of pain, grabbed his coat and ran out the door.

part 7
Ray made his way down the stairs, pausing in the foyer to look at the tree. It was a real pine Christmas tree adorned with ornaments, lights, tinsel and even an angel on the top. Gifts with their Christmas wrapping and bows were scattered under the tree. Ray looked at the tree and its happy essence and felt a longing for this time of Christmas, and a family that the Vecchios had. "Ray?"
Ray looked to his left and saw Francesca standing in the doorway. "Frannie."

"Whats wrong, Ray?"
"Nothing. I'm good."
"Then why are you leaving?"
He could not answer. He wanted to be alone, but he at the same time, he really didn't. He should not have told Mrs. Vecchio what he did, the words just started coming out and he could not stop them. "Stay." "Why?" Rays eyes searching Frannies for a reason. A good solid reason why he should stay here. "Your my brother." "No, Frannie. I was just a guy who portrayed your brother." "You took care of us, of this house of me. You bought gifts for the kids when you need not to. When the house burned down, you signed the contract and dug money out of your own pocket to take care of the rest of the damages. If you are not my brother, true brother, then you are my adopted one. It would not be right to leave a member of the family alone on Christmas." "Frannie.."
"Don't you 'Frannie' me." Frannies voice, rising with each word. "Ray, you will spend Christmas with us. I won't take no for an answer." Ray looked at the set lines around her mouth and the changeling look she was giving him with her eyes just daring him to say no. "How could I say no? Just, lower your voice and get me some aspirin...please?" Frannie smiled a most winning smile and turned to get the asprin. She paused just as she took a step, and turned around and was about to say something. "Don't worry, Frannie. I won't leave. I promise." Satisified, for the detective has never yet broken a promise, went to get the asprin. *cough*
Ray turned around to see Fraser and Vecchio standing in the doorway. "Thas was a very kind thing you did, Ray." Fraser said. "Whatever. Vecchio, wheres your mother?" "In the kitchen fixing you a plate of dinner." Ray walked toward the kitchen and was hit with a barage of wonderful smells. He say Mrs. Vecchio fixing him a plate of Christmas ham, stuffing, candied yams, mashed potatoes, a dinner roll and some gravy. "Not so much gravy please." Mrs. Vecchio turned around, slightly startled. "Listen,..um...I'm really sorry for what happend a few minutes age. I don't know what came over me and.." "Hush, caro. Don't be sorry for what you feel."
"I didn't want to offend you, I just.." "Offend me!? A handsome man like you? Just give me a smile and a hug and all will be forgiven. Just remember, you have nothing to be sorry for." Ray smiled. A true happy smile, walked over to Mrs. Vecchio and gave her a hug. It felt nice, warm safe and he was reluctant to let go. Ma, sensing his need for more gave him another hug and broke free to give him his plate. Frannie came back, during the hug, promplty left and came back again without either one knowing she was ever thier. She gave Ray the asprin, which he gave her a look of great gradatitude and down a couple. Ma gave Ray some milk and called Frannie out of the room for a moment. "Francesca, would you go to the store and find a gift for Ray? He needs one." Ma whispered to her daughter. "Ma, its 8:00 on christmas eve. I don't think anything is open."
"Try dear, just try."
"Whats going on?"
"I'll tell you later caro. Do as I say and no questions till then, capice." "Capice."
see disclaimer in part 1
thanks to my new beta:Marilea. You're a doll!! (not to mention a life saver!!)

part 8 With Ray and Fraser wrapping gifts, the children watching A Christmas Story and the parents watching it with them, Ma Vecchio sat down to find out what was bothering her newly-adopted son on this holy day. Ray scarfed down as much food as he could. He was very hungry, for he hadn't eaten in a long while. When Mrs. Vecchio returned, though, he remembered his manners and slowed down. But she could tell he didn't want to."Stanley.." "It's Ray. Or Raymond, if ya don't mind. I don't like the name Stanley," Ray asked of her in a quiet tone. "Raymond, is there anything wrong?" Ray paused a moment. "What makes you think that?""A mother knows, Raymond. Do you want to tell me anything?" Ray wanted to shake his head no, he couldn't tell anyone what happened to him. It would be wrong. but his head just wouldn't listen to his mind. It shook yes. "What?" Ray didn't answer. "How about that dream you had? You know, when my grandchildren tell me their nightmares, they go back to sleep without them. Why don't you try?" "You know, Ray, we really shouldn't be doing this." "And your point is?""My point is that if Ray, the other Ray, wanted us to know he would have told us and..." "Benny, I owe Ray a lot. Plus, he seems like a nice guy and I don't want to see him go bad." "OK, Ray, lets put it on." "Thats get it on, Benny, get it on." "Oh, right, get it on. Are you sure its not put it on? I'm pretty sure..." "Benny.""What." "Shut up, you talk too much." "Understood." They crept down the hallway leading to the kitchen and stopped outside the door.Unbeknownst to the two sitting in the kitchen, they listened to Rays story. "Raymond, Benton and Raymondo are in the basement wrapping gifts. The children are watching televison with Maria. Francesca is out on an errand and Tony....well, Tony could not be pried off the couch unless its bed or eating time. It's safe to talk to me, Raymond. Please, tell me what's troubling you." Ray looked at Mrs. Vecchio with such an emptiness in his eyes that it broke her heart for him. Ray's mouth moved, but no words formed. It felt very wrong somehow. Wrong to tell anyone what had happened that horrible Christmas Eve. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes, let it out and opened his eyes. As he told Mrs. Vecchio what happened when, he came to the part where D-day saved his life, he began sobbing uncontrobably. He tried to hold the tears back, not to show this strong woman his weakness. He expect hateful scorn for nearly hitting his father not love and caring. Mrs.Vecchio reached out her arms and Ray fell into her embrace, crying. They sat like that for 10 minutes until Ray's sobs finally ceased to only occasional hiccups. "Is that all you needed to tell me?" "N-no." Ma Vecchio knew that this wasn't the only thing he was crying about. There had to be more. "When I ran out the door I didn't come back for 2 weeks." ////////////////////////////FLASHBACK SEQUENCE/////////////////////////////////// D-day snareled, growled and lept for Daimens leg. He bit down hard, not letting go. Ray grabbed his coat and ran out the door as fast as he could, each step causing new pain. D-day followed soon after that. As he ran, he could still hear his father howling in pain. He stopped only when he thought it was safe enough. He fell down on a snowbank and waited to catch his breath. D-day snuggled up beside him. The Australian Shepherd run-away found the Kolwaski family on a camping trip. Since no one claimed him, they had kept him. Ray named him DoomsDay because in church the day before, the father told of Doomsday and Ray just liked the sound of it. D-day for short. D-day began licking the blood off of Rays face. "Its ok, boy, I'm good." But he wasn't - and he knew it. TBC--i swear. "Its ok to complain--thats why the first amendment was made" see disclaimer in part 1 thanks to my new beta:Marilea. You're a doll!! (not to mention a life saver!!)

part 8 With Ray and Fraser wrapping gifts, the children watching A Christmas Story and the parents watching it with them, Ma Vecchio sat down to find out what was bothering her newly-adopted son on this holy day. Ray scarfed down as much food as he could. He was very hungry, for he hadn't eaten in a long while. When Mrs. Vecchio returned, though, he remembered his manners and slowed down. But she could tell he didn't want to."Stanley.." "It's Ray. Or Raymond, if ya don't mind. I don't like the name Stanley," Ray asked of her in a quiet tone. "Raymond, is there anything wrong?" Ray paused a moment. "What makes you think that?""A mother knows, Raymond. Do you want to tell me anything?" Ray wanted to shake his head no, he couldn't tell anyone what happened to him. It would be wrong. but his head just wouldn't listen to his mind. It shook yes. "What?" Ray didn't answer. "How about that dream you had? You know, when my grandchildren tell me their nightmares, they go back to sleep without them. Why don't you try?" "You know, Ray, we really shouldn't be doing this." "And your point is?""My point is that if Ray, the other Ray, wanted us to know he would have told us and..." "Benny, I owe Ray a lot. Plus, he seems like a nice guy and I don't want to see him go bad." "OK, Ray, lets put it on." "Thats get it on, Benny, get it on." "Oh, right, get it on. Are you sure its not put it on? I'm pretty sure..." "Benny.""What." "Shut up, you talk too much." "Understood." They crept down the hallway leading to the kitchen and stopped outside the door.Unbeknownst to the two sitting in the kitchen, they listened to Rays story. "Raymond, Benton and Raymondo are in the basement wrapping gifts. The children are watching televison with Maria. Francesca is out on an errand and Tony....well, Tony could not be pried off the couch unless its bed or eating time. It's safe to talk to me, Raymond. Please, tell me what's troubling you." Ray looked at Mrs. Vecchio with such an emptiness in his eyes that it broke her heart for him. Ray's mouth moved, but no words formed. It felt very wrong somehow. Wrong to tell anyone what had happened that horrible Christmas Eve. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes, let it out and opened his eyes. As he told Mrs. Vecchio what happened when, he came to the part where D-day saved his life, he began sobbing uncontrobably. He tried to hold the tears back, not to show this strong woman his weakness. He expect hateful scorn for nearly hitting his father not love and caring. Mrs.Vecchio reached out her arms and Ray fell into her embrace, crying. They sat like that for 10 minutes until Ray's sobs finally ceased to only occasional hiccups. "Is that all you needed to tell me?" "N-no." Ma Vecchio knew that this wasn't the only thing he was crying about. There had to be more. "When I ran out the door I didn't come back for 2 weeks." ////////////////////////////FLASHBACK SEQUENCE/////////////////////////////////// D-day snareled, growled and lept for Daimens leg. He bit down hard, not letting go. Ray grabbed his coat and ran out the door as fast as he could, each step causing new pain. D-day followed soon after that. As he ran, he could still hear his father howling in pain. He stopped only when he thought it was safe enough. He fell down on a snowbank and waited to catch his breath. D-day snuggled up beside him. The Australian Shepherd run-away found the Kolwaski family on a camping trip. Since no one claimed him, they had kept him. Ray named him DoomsDay because in church the day before, the father told of Doomsday and Ray just liked the sound of it. D-day for short. D-day began licking the blood off of Rays face. "Its ok, boy, I'm good." But he wasn't - and he knew it. TBC--i swear. "Its ok to complain--thats why the first amendment was made" see disclaimer in part 1 thanks to my new beta:Marilea. You're a doll!! (not to mention a life saver!!)

part 8 With Ray and Fraser wrapping gifts, the children watching A Christmas Story and the parents watching it with them, Ma Vecchio sat down to find out what was bothering her newly-adopted son on this holy day. Ray scarfed down as much food as he could. He was very hungry, for he hadn't eaten in a long while. When Mrs. Vecchio returned, though, he remembered his manners and slowed down. But she could tell he didn't want to."Stanley.." "It's Ray. Or Raymond, if ya don't mind. I don't like the name Stanley," Ray asked of her in a quiet tone. "Raymond, is there anything wrong?" Ray paused a moment. "What makes you think that?""A mother knows, Raymond. Do you want to tell me anything?" Ray wanted to shake his head no, he couldn't tell anyone what happened to him. It would be wrong. but his head just wouldn't listen to his mind. It shook yes. "What?" Ray didn't answer. "How about that dream you had? You know, when my grandchildren tell me their nightmares, they go back to sleep without them. Why don't you try?" "You know, Ray, we really shouldn't be doing this." "And your point is?""My point is that if Ray, the other Ray, wanted us to know he would have told us and..." "Benny, I owe Ray a lot. Plus, he seems like a nice guy and I don't want to see him go bad." "OK, Ray, lets put it on." "Thats get it on, Benny, get it on." "Oh, right, get it on. Are you sure its not put it on? I'm pretty sure..." "Benny.""What." "Shut up, you talk too much." "Understood." They crept down the hallway leading to the kitchen and stopped outside the door.Unbeknownst to the two sitting in the kitchen, they listened to Rays story. "Raymond, Benton and Raymondo are in the basement wrapping gifts. The children are watching televison with Maria. Francesca is out on an errand and Tony....well, Tony could not be pried off the couch unless its bed or eating time. It's safe to talk to me, Raymond. Please, tell me what's troubling you." Ray looked at Mrs. Vecchio with such an emptiness in his eyes that it broke her heart for him. Ray's mouth moved, but no words formed. It felt very wrong somehow. Wrong to tell anyone what had happened that horrible Christmas Eve. He took a deep breath, closed his eyes, let it out and opened his eyes. As he told Mrs. Vecchio what happened when, he came to the part where D-day saved his life, he began sobbing uncontrobably. He tried to hold the tears back, not to show this strong woman his weakness. He expect hateful scorn for nearly hitting his father not love and caring. Mrs.Vecchio reached out her arms and Ray fell into her embrace, crying. They sat like that for 10 minutes until Ray's sobs finally ceased to only occasional hiccups. "Is that all you needed to tell me?" "N-no." Ma Vecchio knew that this wasn't the only thing he was crying about. There had to be more. "When I ran out the door I didn't come back for 2 weeks." ////////////////////////////FLASHBACK SEQUENCE/////////////////////////////////// D-day snareled, growled and lept for Daimens leg. He bit down hard, not letting go. Ray grabbed his coat and ran out the door as fast as he could, each step causing new pain. D-day followed soon after that. As he ran, he could still hear his father howling in pain. He stopped only when he thought it was safe enough. He fell down on a snowbank and waited to catch his breath. D-day snuggled up beside him. The Australian Shepherd run-away found the Kolwaski family on a camping trip. Since no one claimed him, they had kept him. Ray named him DoomsDay because in church the day before, the father told of Doomsday and Ray just liked the sound of it. D-day for short. D-day began licking the blood off of Rays face. "Its ok, boy, I'm good." But he wasn't - and he knew it. TBC--i swear. "Its ok to complain--thats why the first amendment was made"

Part 9

Little Ray Kolwaski laid in the snow for half an hour before figuring out what to do next. He contemplated on going to Stella's house, but he did not want her to see him in this sort of state. He knew he had to go home, but now?? Was it safe?? No, he decided. It wasn't safe and may never be safe again. So, he hit the streets.

"Was that all?" Mrs. Vecchio asked.
"No. Uh, there was this guy. This guy was said to have liked little blonde boys. I didn't know what that ment. I was only 8 at the time. He, uh, he met me one day in an alley I started calling home. He said we could play a game. I said no, but he grabbed me and began, uh, touching me. I kicked him, and fought, but none of it worked. He still touched me and I didn't like it. D-day came out and bit the guy, H A R D. Right where a guy doesn't want to get bit. He pulled out a knife. I saw it, I thought he was going to kill D-day. So, I somehow grabbed the knife, and pulled it onto the guy. He looked surprised. I told him to get lost. He laughed. ////////////////FLASHBACK//SEQUENCE//////////// "Whats a little runt like you gonna do with that, huh?" "Just back away and ya won't get hurt, ya hear me!!" The man laughed a low laugh and it sent chills down Rays spine. "I don't think you've got the guts to stab me. Go ahead, slash away." He spread his arms out right and gave the "bring-it on" motion with his hands. "Don't think that I won't do it! I will!" "Right."
The crazy man puts his hands down towards his pockets. He pulled out a cigarette box. "Why don't we all just calm down a bit. You smoke?" "No."
"Too bad. Oops!"
He dropped his lighter onto the ground. He bent down to pick it up but instead of picking up the lighter, h grabbed a handful of dirt and threw it into Ray's face. "Aah!" Ray screamed. The man lunged at Ray and Ray just stick out his arm as if to stop him. Ray felt something slide into the man. He felt a warm sticky substance ooze onto his hand. Ray fell on his back and the man fell on top of him. Ray pushed the man off and stood up. Under the street lamp he say red. Their was red on his hands. He looked closely and realized it wasn't his. It was the other mans blood. He must have screamed really loud because next thing he knew, their were cop cars with their lights blazing parked and some cops were bent over the body. They didn't see him yet, he was in the shadows.

(Can I just say that I don't know any cop calls. This is completely made up. Sorry : / )

"Looks like its gonna be a quiet night, huh Erica." "Ya never know Harding. Ya never know." "Calling car 6-2, come in 6-2."
"Aw, damn. This is 6-2, whats up?"
"We have a 2-11 on Jackson St."
"10-4 dispatch. Where are on our way. Lets go." Erica turned on her lights and the siren and drove to Jackson St. "Looks like he's dead." She said as they got there. They got out of the car and walked the short distance to the body. "Hey, sir. Can you here me. Harding, call a paramedic. Can you hear me?" Harding gave the call in and went to the body as well. He looks dead to me. Hey, wait a minute. Isn't he the child molester guy? God, let him bleed." *sob* Harding turned at the sound of a child crying. He took out his flashlight and shined it in the dark cornor. The light showed a very dirty child with blonde hair that seemed to stick straight up on its own free will. He was the one crying. "Hey, hey. Its ok kid. Its alright. No one gonna hurt ya. Why don't you come out here, huh?" Ray looked at the two police guys.
"Did I kill him?"Erica and Harding looked at each other. "Are you hungry?" Erica asked. Now was not the time to get into this mess. Ray nodded.
"I have a candy bar here. You want it. Its a Snickers bar." Ray looked at the lady, then at the candy bar. Then to Harding. He ran out of the cornor and grabbed the candy bar. He eat it as fast as he could without choking. "Whats your name?" "Stanely."
"Stanely what?"
"Kolwaski."
Erica walked over to the car and put in the name Stanley Kolwaski and came up with a run-away. "Harding! Come here for a sec." Harding left the boy with another candy bar and walked over to Erica. "Yea?"
"He's a run-away. Been missing for two weeks." Harding looked over to where he left the boy and saw he was gone. "Where did he go?"
"Look. Over by the body."
Ray looked down at the body. He was dead. Ray killed him. Ray just looked at it and then everything began to spin. He tried to cry, scream anything but nothing would work. His head started to swim and the ground came rushing up to meet him. The last thing he remembered was the guy cop asking if he was ok..then all went black.

As he came to, he saw blurry images of people standing around him. He felt the sterile sheets of a hospital bed and the smell of a hospital around him. "He's waking up." Someone said "Stanley, Stanley..wake up honey. Come on baby, wake up." It was his mother. "Mum?"
"Hi honey."
"How are you doing, son?"
Ray looked over at his father, and everything came rushing back to him. The snowball, the bat, D-day, the man he killed. "D-day, Mum, where's D-day?"
"Over at your grandmothers. He's safe honey. Are you ok?" "Yea, can I go home now?"
"No. Not yet. Stanley. You have a concussion and we would like to look after you. At least for the night." a doctor said. "Can you tell me where these cuts came from and your broken ribs. They seemed to have healed somewhat but for the record..." "Doctor, my boys tired. He just needs his rest and he'll get it more at home than any hospital. He's afraid of hospitals and it won't do him no good if he stays here." Daimen said. Ray looked at his father. He remembered him hitting him. He wanted to tell the doctor what had happened, but he was afraid too. Somehow, it would seem very wrong to do that. "Honey, go start up the car please. Were getting you out of here, son." "Now, wait a minute, Mr. Kolwaski. Just let your son answer these few questions and then he can go only if you keep a close eye on him. Plus, he still needs to give a statement for the police." Ray looked at his father and to the doctor. The doctor came over to Ray's bedside. Ray looked at his father again. He was shaking his head no. Ray knew what he had to do. "Some gang beat me up. Wanted my money or somethin. Thats all."
"Why did you run away, Stanley?"
"I got grounded for hitting dad's boss with a snowball."

"Did your family ever talk about the dead man again?" Ma Vecchio asked. "No. They said I had to forget about it. It never happened. But I couldn't help it. I had nightmares. I still do. I killed a man." "No, Raymond. You killed a monster. This was no man. No man would touch children in such a fashion. No killed a monster. No mere man, Raymond." "But I KILLED somthing. Killing is against everything that is taught. Your just not allowed to do that sort of thing." "Sometimes Raymond, killing has to happen. Or else how would we live? You are a hero. You saved many children from that man. Would you rather have let those children become victims of that man?" "No! Never!"
"Then let it go, Raymond. Let it go."

"Whoa." That was all Ray Vecchio could say about the matter. Fraser and Ray just sat in the hallway shell-shocked at what they had just heard. *clicK*
They both looked up from their position on the floor and saw Franchesca coming through the door with Christmas packages. She paused for a moment and looked at the two. "You didn't see me." Ray and Fraser looked at each other; then at her. "Ok," they both said.

part 10
The tree lights twinkled and Christmas music played in the background. Ray Kolwaski was in the living room with the Vecchio children and watching them talk about what they asked Santa. "I asked Santa for a blue scooter." "I asked for a red scooter."
"What did you ask Santa for Ray?"
"I didn't ask Santa for anything this year." "There's still time!! Go onto the internet and e-mail Santa your wish list. I have the address if you need it!" "Thats ok, little man. I think Santa is very busy right now. In fact, i bet he has already left." The children looked at each other and then at the roof as if waiting for it to make any sort of noise. "Quickly now, go to bed befor he comes and sees you awake!"
The children ran up the stairs and scrambled into their beds. "Thank you Ray. I've been trying to get them to bed for an hour now. Your such a sweet heart. Now, if somebody else i knew was nice as ray, then mabey things would go better." she said directing it toward Tony. "Whatever you say Maria." Then he went back to watching a Christmas Carol on t.v. "Uhg. I'm asking Santa for a new husband next year, I swear!"

Ray looked at her and just laughed. A good laugh that a hint was heard of merry ment. Mrs. Vecchio came into the room at the sound of Rays laugh and smiled. "Come, adults. Bed time. We must be asleep for 'Santa.'" All of them groaned and scoffed, but it was all in good fun. Ray went toward the closet and grabbed his coat. "Ray, we have an extra bedroom upstairs you can sleep in." Frannie said. "Ya, I know Frannie. I just need to get something, ok? I'll be right back." Ray walked toward the door and Frannie moved to stop him. "Let him go, caro. He'll come back. If he says, then he will."

11:00 pm

The door opened then shut and in walked a very snowed Ray Kolwaski. His arms were loaded with what seemed to be gifts. "Ray?" Ray jumped, nearly throwing the packages every which direction. "Jeeze, Frannie. Don't do that! What are you doing up so late?" "Waiting for you."
"Oh. Uh, were do I put these?"
"Try under the tree Ray. Thats the traditional way." She said with a smile "Right." he said with the same smile. He walked over, put down a jar, and carried the packages toward the tree. He tripped on one package and almost fell down. Some of the packages werent' so lucky. "Let me help you with that." She bent down to reach for a package when Ray bent down to reach for the same one and they collieded heads. "ow!" Frannie said,
"Sorry." Ray whispered. They both looked up on their eyes connected. For one brief second, but which seemed like an eternity to them, they stayed like that. "Uh, we better get to bed." Frannie said. "Yea, don't want your Ma to get mad at us and say were trying to peak at the presents." Frannie laughed. "yea" Ray liked the sound of her laughter. They both went upstairs. At the top of the stairs, Frannie said, "Good-night, Ray." "Good-night Frannie."
They both didn't move.
"We'll."
"So."
"Ahh, hell!" Ray reached over and grabbed Frannie by the waist and pulled her in for a kiss. "Good-night, Frannie," Ray whispered to he. He walked the short distance toward the guest room where Fraser was sleeping as well and promptly fell asleep.

part 11
( I think I made it!!)

CHRISTMAS MORNING!!!!

Ray awoke to the sound of little feet pounding their way down the stairs and joyful laughter of the children wondering if Santa had come. Ray smiled to himself. The kids asked what he had asked Santa for. This was it. The perfect Christmas. Yea, sure he may screw it up, but maybe he wouldn't. Maybe, just maybe. He got out of the bed, got dressed and walked down the stairs. "Mornin' Stan."
"Mornin' Ray."
"Merry Christmas, Rays."
"Thanks Fraser." They both said.
"Care for some Egg Nog?"
"Naw. That stuff tastes nasty to me. I'm gonna grab some coffee." He came back with a mug filled with coffee (no smarties but nothings perfect) and watched the kids open their gifts. *No, open was to nice of a word. Try rip, tear, destroy*
Soon all the kids gifts were opened and it was the adults turn to open the gifts. Or rip..tear..destroy. "Here ya go, Ma." Ray Vecchio said. "Oh, Raymondo!! What a beautiful shawl!! Where ever did you find such a thing?" "Its called deptment stores Ma." "Uh, I got somethin for ya, Frase. And you too Vecchio. Actually, for all of ya." Ray said, getting embarrassed as he said it. They unwrapped all their gifts from Ray. Fraser got a snow-globe which showed Dief, him and what looked like his fathers cabin. Ma Vecchio got a spa gift-certificate which she enjoyed eminsely. Maria got a book called "How to live with lazy men" and Tony got a book called "How to live with a nagging wife" The kids got some verious toys. Frannie opened her little gift. She unwrapped it and opened the box it was in. She brought out a small jewerly box and when she opened it, it held a necklace. "Oh, Ray." She said with awe.
"Don't like it?"
"Oh, no its..its beautiful!" It was a heart-shaped necklace and looked to be embroaided with real diamonds. "It must have costed you a fortune. It looks exctaly like the one I was looking at in the magazine. How did you know?" "I'm a detective. I figure stuff out. That's the traditional way, Frannie." Ray said with a smile. "I....we have something for you too Ray."
Ray, looking very surpiresed, reached for the handed gifts. He opened them. Ma Vecchio gave him ___________ (what should Ma give Ray Marilea?) Ray Vecchio gave him a brush and comb set, Fraser gave him a badge and a pen with his initials on it. The badge had what looked like a man bending over as if in pain. A badge of courage it seemed to be. Maria and Tony gave him a gift certificate to a fine restaurante and the kids gave him various cop toy stuff. He was deeply touched by their thoughfulness. Frannies gift was for last. He unwrapped it and saw it was a bracelet. It was silver and when he looked closely, he saw it had his full name enscribed on it. "Frannie, this..this...this is greatness." Ray looked at her, his eyes gleaming with pure joy. "Really? You think so?" "Yea. Thank you. Thank you all." Ray looked down at the bracelet, put it on and looked around at the family before him. A family he could start calling his own. He looked at each of them. Yes, a family he could call his own indeed. "AHHH!! A turtle!!"
"Oh dear," Ray said "Don't worry. Its harmless, Maria! He's my pet!" He looked at Fraser, Ray and the rest of them. "Whats Christmas, without your pets?" They all gave a little laugh and Ray ran to rescue his pet. "Well, i think this constitutes for a toast. Ray, would you do the honors?" "Yea," Ray vecchio raised his glass and the rest of them did as well. The kids with thier cokes, Fraser with his cider, and the rest with thier wine. "Toast!"
"How about Merry Christmas to all?" Frannie suggested. "How about happy holidays?" Maria suggested. "No. How about Merry Christmas. And God bless us, everyone." Ray K. suggested. "I'll drink to that." Ray said.
"Me too," Frannie said.
"MERRY CHRISTMAS! AND GOD BLESS US EVERYONE!!!"

The end

Merry Christmas everyone!!