Rated PG

Alliance legally owns these characters, and no copyright infringement is intended. This story is written for entertainment purposes only, and no profit will be made.

JUST ANOTHER NIGHT

Ray sighed as he rubbed his eyes. It was Valentine's Day, and it was shaping up to be a miserable holiday for him.

All around him the other detective's desks were covered with flowers and balloon bouquets and other holiday gifts, while his desk sat empty. It didn't have to be this way, and Ray knew it.

He and Benny had been lovers for nearly six months now, but mainly at Ray's insistence they kept the true nature of their relationship under wraps.

It had been a huge step for Ray to admit to himself that he was romantically and sexually attracted to another man- and an even bigger step for him to admit it to Benny.

But Ben most definitely reciprocated his feelings, and they were still in the "honeymoon" phase of their relationship, even after all these months.

That was another reason Ray wanted to keep their relationship quiet. It felt like he and Benny were in a safe, protected bubble, where nothing could intrude on them. Ray wasn't at all sure how his family and co-workers were going to react to the news that he and Benny were lovers; and he didn't want to have to deal with the possible negative fallout yet.

He was happy- happier than he had ever been- and he didn't want anything to ruin his happiness. And if he had to pay a price for that happiness, like not being able to go out on an "official" date with Benny or not receiving flowers from him on Valentine's Day, Ray was more than willing to pay that price. For now at least.

Another result of keeping their relationship hidden was that he was working late tonight.

Most of the detectives in the precinct had spent the last several weeks trying to bust a major drug ring, and their efforts were finally starting to pay off.

There were reports and interview notes from several detectives that needed to be merged into one coherent report. Since all the other detectives had plans for Valentines Day and Ray, to all appearances had no one special in his life, he had been elected to coordinate the report.

Ray looked at the stack of files on his desk and picked up the phone to call Ben.

"Constable Fraser."

Ray smiled at the sound of Ben's voice, his day brightening a little bit. "Hey, Benny."

"Ray!" Ben's voice lowered slightly. "Happy Valentine's Day."

"The same to you, Benny. Listen, I've got some bad news."

"What's wrong?" Ben asked, worry in his voice.

"I have to work on this stupid report for the case, and I'm going to be stuck here late tonight."

"Oh. Well, that's all right, Ray. We didn't really have any special plans for the evening."

That was true. Ben was very busy at the Consulate, and Ray had been working twelve and fourteen-hour days for nearly a month.

The fact that both men's lives were so busy and hectic and that Ray was so tired lately was not conducive to an evening of romance. So Benny and Ray had agreed to have a low-key evening on Valentine's Day and have a more romantic celebration in a couple of weeks, when things had calmed down.

"I know Benny," Ray sighed, "but I was hoping I would at least get to see you tonight."

"How late are you working?" Ben asked.

"Probably until 8:30 or so."

"Well, you can come over that, can't you?"

"Sure I can," Ray said, smiling.

"Unless that's too late for you," Ben added worriedly. "I don't want to keep you up too late when you've been working so hard."

"No, I'm fine Benny. I want to see you tonight."

"If you're sure, Ray."

"I'm sure."

"Good. I want to see you, too. I'll make you dinner if you like."

"Yeah, that sounds great. I'll see you tonight, Benny."

"All right. I love you, Ray."

"Same to you, Benny." Ray hung up the phone in a much better mood than he had been in a few minutes earlier.


Ray fought back a yawn as he walked up the stairs to Ben's apartment. Once he had started work on the report, he had become totally absorbed in it, working very hard at putting everyone's notes in order and writing a report that flowed smoothly from one point to the next.

He had become completely caught up in his work and lost all track of time, and when he had finally looked at his watch he had been shocked to discover it was after 11:00.

He paused outside the door to apartment 3J, hoping Benny would not be too upset with him. He entered the apartment and took a few steps before pausing in shock.

The kitchen table had been elegantly set, with linens and china, crystal, and silverware. A bottle of non-alcoholic wine sat in an ice bucket, the ice mostly melted now.

Two red tapered candles sat in silver candlesticks in the middle of the table. The candles had burned about halfway down before being blown out.

There was a bouquet of long-stemmed red roses lying next to one of the plates, and Ray walked over and picked it up. The card nestled among the flowers read simply 'Love, Ben'.

Ray placed the roses back on the table and moved over to the counter. There were two bags on the counter from Tuscany, Ray's favorite Italian restaurant.

"Oh, Benny..." Ray whispered.

He walked into the living room, and a soft smile crossed his face. Benny was wearing a pair of black dress pants and the cream-colored sweater that Ray had given him as a Christmas gift. He was sound asleep in the easy chair, a book lying open on his lap.

Ray crossed over and placed the book on the table, then sat down on the arm of the chair. He ran a hand lightly over Ben's hair, then gave him a kiss on the forehead.

Ben started slightly and his eyes blinked open. "Ray!"

"Hi, love," Ray said, giving him a quick kiss on the lips.

"What time is it?"

"Almost 11:30."

Ben's eyes widened in surprise. "Have you been working all this time?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I lost track of the time."

"That's all right."

"Benny, I..." Ray trailed off and gestured towards the decorated table.

Ben smiled ruefully. "Surprise."

"Oh, Benny, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to ruin dinner."

"I know you didn't. Like you said, you just lost track of the time. Besides, you didn't know I had anything special planned.

"I know we said we wouldn't make a fuss about Valentine's Day, but you've been working so hard lately that I wanted to do something special for you."

"So I guess you didn't eat any dinner?" Ray asked.

"No. Did you?"

Ray shook his head.

Ben smiled at Ray and gave him a quick kiss, then stood up and led him into the kitchen.

"Where's Dief?" Ray asked, noting the wolf's absence for the first time.

"He's spending the evening with Maggie."

"Oh. Well, at least someone is having a romantic Valentine's Day."

Ben laughed, then turned his attention to the take-out bags on the counter. "I think the food will still be good if we heat it up."

"Oh, it will be," Ray answered. He helped Benny unpack the bags. "Did you get me veal parmesan?"

"Of course," Ben answered with a grin.

"Good job."

Ben set the entrees onto plates and put the plates in the microwave that Ray had insisted on purchasing for the apartment; and Ray busied himself putting the salad into bowls and pouring the wine.

After just a few minutes they were seated at the table with their meals before them and soft romantic music playing on the radio.

The food was very good, even in its re-heated condition, and the two men ate quietly, content to listen to the music while exchanging only a few words.

When they had finished eating, Benny carried his plate over to the sink and rinsed it off. Ray stepped up behind him and handed him his plate, then wrapped his arms around Ben's waist. "I'm sorry I ruined Valentine's Day, Benny."

Ben dropped Ray's plate into the sink and turned off the water. "You didn't ruin anything, Ray," he said, turning to face his partner. "We got to have our dinner, and most importantly, you are here with me."

"And it is still Valentine's Day, if only for a few more minutes," Ray smiled.

"Oh, Ray. Do you think I need to wait until a special day to celebrate our love? I waited my entire life for you, Ray Vecchio. And now that I have found you, I am not going to limit myself to one day a year.

"I am going to declare and show my love for you whenever, wherever, and as often as I can."

Ray smiled at him. "Oh, Benny, I love you." He pulled Ben into a kiss.

Ben slid his arms around Ray's waist and closed his eyes in enjoyment.

Ray yawned suddenly, then pulled away in embarrassment. "Oh God, Benny. I'm sorry." He buried his face against Ben's shoulder.

"It's quite all right." Ben ran his hand soothingly up and down Ray's back. "You're exhausted, Ray. You've been pushing yourself far too hard lately."

Ray straightened up to look at his partner. "It's this case, Benny. I have to make sure everything goes right."

"I know that this case is important, Ray. But you are more important. You need to take it easy every once in a while, take care of yourself. I don't want you working yourself so hard that you get sick."

"Benny..." Ray shook his head and sighed.

Ben gave him a gentle kiss, then took his hand and led him into the bedroom. "Get undressed, Ray."

"Oh Benny, I'm really not up to any love making tonight."

Ben looked surprised- and offended. "What do you take me for, Ray?" He went to the dresser and pulled out a pair of Ray's pajamas.

"Oh. I'm sorry, Benny," Ray said, sounding embarrassed.

"It's quite all right," Ben answered, an amused grin tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Between the two of them, they had Ray undressed and in his pajamas in a very short time, and Ben tucked Ray into bed.

Ray sighed and shifted against the pillow, trying to get comfortable.

"Sit up," Ben said.

Ray looked at Ben, confused, but shrugged and sat up. Ben took the pillow and tossed it aside, then sat down on the bed and pulled Ray back down, resting his head and shoulders in his lap. "Is that more comfortable?"

"Oh yeah," Ray said. He shifted again, more comfortably now, and sighed happily.

"Go to sleep now, my love," Ben whispered; and began gently stroking Ray's face. Within five minutes, Ray was sound asleep.

Ben sat quietly for a few minutes, then looked over at the kitchen with a sigh. He really should clean up in there. There were dishes on the table and in the sink, and the bags and food containers were still on the counter.

Then Benny looked back down at his lover, asleep in his lap, and he smiled softly. The dishes could wait.

THE END

Comments welcome. slashpriestess@yahoo.com