DISCLAIMER: You know the drill... Apologies for the title...I can't stand the Backstreet Boys, but hey! The title was perfect! :) And you thought I could only write Meg/Ben stuff! :) The Meaning of Being Lonely (c) 2000 by M. Megan O'Neil (Lisa) She danced in his arms, her arm wrapped around his neck, her hips softly undulating as she swayed. He held her as they spun around, her body as soft and wispy as the silk sheath she wore. She smelled like daisies, clean and fresh. He dipped her, grinning as she tilted her head back and laughed. She let him lead her. It was a wonderful feeling, giving up control, letting herself be free. God, it was wonderful! He twirled her around and around, his hand never leaving hers. She was sure they looked like something out of a Fred Astaire movie. The thought made her laugh. He winked, saying she should laugh more often. She spun back into his arms, thanking him for the compliment. The radio's music changed. A slow song was playing. The song flowed through her veins like fire. She pressed closer, looking for the warmth she never seemed to find. She settled for resting her head on his shoulder. A tear fell. He felt her head on his shoulder and hugged her tighter, feeling her curves mold to his body. Somewhere in the room, Phil Collins was singing. What was the name of that song? Oh yeah. "Against All Odds." The love ballad wrapped him up like a warm blanket. He felt her head on his shoulder and her arms wrapped around his waist. He rested his head on hers. A tear fell from his eye, melting into her hair. The music faded and the DJ's annoying voice blared out ads. They kept swaying. She lifted her head. He kissed first. She pulled away, wiping red lipstick off his mouth with her thumb. He looked down shyly, reaching to brush the tears from her cheeks. "Guess misery loves company, huh?" "Yep." "Didn't mean to make ya feel sorry for me." Laughing softly, she broke away, picking up her purse. "I don't. Feel sorry for you I mean. Nobody should be alone on their anniversary. If you see him, tell him I'm looking for him. 'Night Ray. And happy anniversary." He listened as the click of her heels died. She had come sniffing out Fraser, thinking he might be here, only to find Ray dancing with a make-believe partner to Styx's "Babe." Somehow, Ray wasn't sure exactly, he had ended up telling her about his first anniversary, when he and Stella had danced and danced and danced until the sun came up. He didn't know what he had expected. Probably that she would laugh or leave. That was how she was. She didn't; Meg Thatcher just smiled, held out her arms, and said, 'Well, we're both alone on anniversaries. Will I do?' Why the hell he had taken her up one her offer, Kowalski would never know, but suddenly, he was in her arms and he was dancing; and for a second in time, he was holding Stella and it was their first anniversary. He would never figure out what Thatcher was thinking. Ray figured it had something to do with Fraser. Her eyes told what her face hid. He looked out his window. She was leaning against her Lexus, smoking a cigarette. Kowalski grinned. He never would have pegged Thatcher for a nicotine junkie. The moonlight bounced off her bright tears. Ray Kowalski smiled. Maybe he'd be a little nicer to her the next time he saw her. "Thanks Thatcher." *** Meg threw her cigarette down and brushed back her tears. She looked up to see the light in Ray Kowalski's apartment. She would never have thought of Kowalski as the dancing type. He had spun her around his apartment and for one moment, she was in Fraser's arms again. She smiled. Maybe she'd be a bit nicer the next time she saw him. "Thanks Kowalski." A train's whistle blew in the distance. Another tear fell. "Happy Annivesary, Fraser." The train's whistle grew faint in the distance. OK...so I lied! :)