Podfics & The Internet Archive

By now, many of you have heard what’s going on over at The Internet Archive.  But if you haven’t, you can read up on the attack here.  Our hearts go out to them, as well as those podficcers who choose to archive their works at The Archive.

If you are a podficcer and you’ve lost your podfic files, Squidge.org is here to help.  Here’s a bit of information for the different populations of podficcers:

  • Podfic Listener:  If you’re a listener and there are podfics out there that you can no longer access, please contact the podficcer and let them know about The Jinjurly Audiofic Archive.  There are many archivists here that can help them relocate their works.  Unfortunately if you’re just partaking in podfics that have disappeared because of the hack, there’s not much that we can do with out the podficcer’s permission.  Additionally, said podficcers probably have entries around the Internet announcing their works.  It would be up to them to update their Dreamwidth, LJ, Tumblr, AO3, SqWA, etc. entries with the new information.
  • Podficcers who have one or two podfics they would like to relocate:  The best idea we have is that you can fill out the form located here (link).  This form will document everything about your podfic, and gives us enough information so that we can get it entered into the Jinjurly file hosting side of things.
  • Podficcers who have a treasure trove of podfics to archive: I hope you like spreadsheets, because here you go (link)!  If you would be so kind as to save your own copy, fill out this spreadsheet, and then alert us at jinjurlyarchivists@squidge.org of where you saved your spreadsheet.  Then we can start the process of archiving your works.

I’d also like to take this time to remind everyone that we are still missing a few hundred podfics from our original archive rebuild effort.  Take a gander at this spreadsheet and see if you have any of these missing files.  If you do, please ping us!

And as always, if you have questions, please don’t hesitate to ask by either responding to this post, or by opening a helpdesk ticket here.

2 thoughts on “Podfics & The Internet Archive

  1. Great article! Since the Internet Archive is often down, I’m seriously thinking about moving my podfics and images to your hosting spaces but I also have video content. Where would they go?

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Squidge.org WebBlog

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading