Death story.

The Ultimate State of Being

by MaryReilly

Disclaimer: Features some violence (not graphically described, but still), and two males sleeping together, and not in a platonic way. If you can’t deal, don’t keep reading.

I can’t even pretend to own the characters or concepts behind Star Wars in any of its various incarnations. And they aren’t yet in the public domain, although they should be, dammit! So, all hail to George Lucas and LucasArts and Skywalker Studios and you all know who you are. And just in case anyone’s confused, here the real real Star Wars stuff. Enjoy.


I lay in his arms. An eternity stretched out before me, and I feel my connection to the life that I had led for so long become ever more tenuous. Tears fall like flakes of soft snow upon my cheek.

I reach up to stroke his face again. Don’t be sad, sweet Padawan. Be joyous for me - I will be one with the Force, with the living energy that surrounds and unites us all. I will be with you still, and always.

His voice begins to chant slowly, half-forgotten words from his youth. Tears still stain his cheeks and tighten his voice, but the words become more clear as he speaks to me.

“O child of noble family, my beloved Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, now what is called death has arrived. You are not alone in leaving this world...”

I can barely hear the next lines. A bright radiance appears before me, calling me forward. Unwavering in his devotion, my beloved Padawan continues to chant, giving a rhythm to my soul that no other could meet or challenge. I try to listen as best I can, but realize that I cannot have both him and the pure light of the Eternal State shining before me. I have to move forward before I may return to him.

“I will abandon all thoughts of fear and terror,” he whispers to me, still working to remember all the words. I realize as I listen that the prayer is helping me to let go. It is a guide to the paths that lead away from this life. He has overcome his pain, so that he can minister to me.

Could any man be more loved?

This knowledge finally releases me. As I slip away, the last thing I see is the quiet faith in my Padawan’s eyes.

No man is more loved than I, or better.