The Path Not Walked… Part 06

-by Nati_A

Qui-Gon tensed at Obi-Wan's words. Though the young man had given unselfishly up until now, he expected a high price to be placed upon their transport. He was not a natural cynic, but after serving as a public defender for so many years, he was well aquatinted with human nature. People did not often give freely of themselves.

"I need you to promise me something. I need you to look after the boy. If anything should happen to me, I need to know that someone will take him in. Someone with a knowledge of the force."

Despite Obi-Wan's mildly pleading tone, Qui-Gon automatically shook his head to deny the request. "I cannot care for a child, Obi-Wan. Jedi life does not permit me the leisure to take such a responsibility."

Obi-Wan sighed in defeat. He had expected as much, and had doubted that the Master would yield to this request. "He's too strong to lose, Master. He is so young and he needs to be protected form the Darkness around him. He tries so hard to stay in the Light, but it's not easy for him. As a slave, he saw too much evil and was used poorly."

The master simply stood, holding his ground on the issue. He looked calm and serene, never doubting his own judgment.

"Please, at least until I arrive at Coruscant to reclaim him. Just for the transport..." Obi-Wan trailed off in defeat. "Please, this is all I've asked from you or the Jedi," he finished without much faith in his ability to sway the Master.

Qui-Gon eyed him suspiciously. "Why can you not tend to the child? When are you planning to evacuate?"

"I'll be on the second transport. It won't be leaving until later. DaeMak and Talis won't be on the first shuttle either. There's no one else that can really control the boy."

"Control him?"

"He's very excitable, as you've seen... and there is much fear in him. He needs to be grounded. Your presence as a Jedi will provide that," Obi-Wan stated calmly.

Qui-Gon simply sighed before moving onto his true concern. "Why delay? Surely leaving together is safer given that you are smuggling out the Nubian Queen and her aides."

"AgriCorps has considerable resources invested in this base. I can't leave without trying to salvage some of it. Supplies from the infirmary and the research equipment are being loaded as we speak. I'll be giving the final evac order shortly. We'll be leaving within the hour and taking a less direct route to Coruscant. The outpost on Perma needs the extra supplies since so few people are passing through this sector due to the embargo."

Qui-Gon paused in thought; he was clearly unhappy with Obi-Wan's responsibilities given the situation. He would rather have had everyone on one transport. He had voiced his concern, but Obi-Wan was determined to recoup some of their losses and to assist the OuterRim colony. Finally, the Jedi Master gave a quick nod. "I will keep the boy with me until we reach the Temple. You can retrieve him from there when you arrive," he relented grudgingly.

Obi-Wan smiled slightly. "Thank you. Your presence as another Force user would do him good." He quietly added, "He really does like you, you know."

The elder refused to comment. He merely shrugged and climbed the ramp to join the waiting Nubian delegation. He quickly herded them to the more secluded crew compartment behind the cargo hold and settled in to wait. Slipping into a light meditation, he let the Force flow through him, trusting it to warn him of danger.

Obi-Wan quickly sought out Anakin and ushered him into the waiting transport.

"Ani, I want you to go the rear crew compartment and wait there. You'll be safe."

Anakin looked confused. "Why can't I ride with DaeMak in the cockpit? I always hang out with the pilots and flight crew. Am I being punished?" he asked quietly.

"No, Ani. DaeMak, Talis, and I are all going on the second transport. We'll be taking supplies to Perma despite the Trade Federation's presence in the sector."

Anakin suddenly seemed agitated. He turned and wrapped small arms around Obi-Wan's hips in a firm hug. "No!" he said emphatically. "You've got to stay with me." He looked up at Obi-Wan with pain filled eyes, "I won't lose you, not like mom. We've got to stay together..."

Obi-Wan kneeled down to the boy's level. "I have to Ani. The Perma colony desperately needs the supplies. You've seen the Republic News vids. This will help sustain them until the trade routes in this sector stabilize."

Anakin still did not seem assured. He had lost his mother not long after being freed from slavery, and Obi-Wan was now his only family. Dantooine, though not as dangerous as Ani's homeworld, was still a planet rife with unscrupulous people preying on the weak and unsuspecting. Whatever agricultural success Obi-Wan had achieved was forever overshadowed by Shmi's death.

On a routine supply run, the skimmer was attacked by raiders on return trip to BaseOps. Shmi had been thrown from the craft when it was rocked with heavy blaster fire despite DaeMak's piloting efforts. Her injuries proved fatal. Obi-Wan still felt responsible for her death, because he had assigned Shmi to assist the supply detail.

She could negotiate with the native traders in the market where others failed. Vendors, who would normally have been suspicious of any Republic representative, readily bargained with Shmi. After so many years of providing for herself and her young son in Tatooine's hostile environment, she could easily handle the bustling trade center with a full creditchip.

She always managed to haggle traders down to lower prices than any of the Requisitions personnel. On most trips, she even managed to obtain a stash of sweet confection without ever surpassing Obi-Wan's budget. This is what made her one of the most loved members of his team; she provided comforts the group would have otherwise been forced to do without. She was a shrewd woman, and one that was sorely missed.

No one would miss her more than her son though. Anakin had been consumed with grief and worry for quite some time after her passing. He became withdrawn and despondent. He had never felt secure among the AgriCorps team and had never gotten very close to any of them. Shmi had accepted Obi-Wan's offer of employment for purely financial reasons. She had intended to leave AgriCorps once her two-year contract expired.

Anakin had felt even more isolated than he had on Tatooine. With no other known relatives and being far too young to be on his own, Obi-Wan became his family. With such a strong Force presence, Obi-Wan could not ignore child as his pain radiated throughout the base. Obi-Wan had taken it upon himself to provide Anakin with some stability and sense of family. They were two lost Force sensitives drawn together by fate.

Now, several years later, near forgotten fears seized Anakin. He's eyes were somewhat clouded as he looked to Obi-Wan's face. "We should stay together... there's something bad happening... here on Naboo."

"I know Ani, that's why I'm sending you with the Jedi. He's in the ship waiting. Just stay with him and everything will be all right. He's going to Coruscant and to the Jedi Temple. You'll get to see it first hand." Obi-Wan tried to keep his tone light and comforting as he spoke. He hoped to soothe away the boy's fears with excitement over seeing Jedi in person.

"But I want to go with you..."

"Ani, it's a boring side trip. We've got to be quick and quiet about it, otherwise the Trade Federation could try to intervene. I can't worry about you and do my duty. If I know you're safe with the Jedi, then I'll be able to concentrate on the job at hand. Okay? Master Jinn will take good care of you."

Anakin hung his head in disappointment, but he finally nodded in understanding. After a few scuffs to the ground with the toe of his boot, he threw himself into Obi-Wan's outstretched arms. Reluctantly, Anakin let go and walked up the ramp. He waved good bye, wiped away a few tears, then turned away to search out the Jedi Master.

Obi-Wan smiled, waved, and sighed quietly once the boy was out of sight. The encounter had gone remarkably well in his opinion. Given Anakin's abrupt loss of his mother, Obi-Wan had anticipated a worse reaction. Hopefully, the boy's fears were unfounded, but Obi-Wan could not shake a looming feeling of dread over the separation.

He picked up his comlink and gave his final orders to the pilots. A few moments later the transport was lifting off and headed out of the atmosphere. Obi-Wan watched it for a few moments before turning back to the second transport. There was much to do if he was to get it ready for departure by the Trade Federation deadline.

Obi-Wan's Home
Nati_A's Fanfic