Morning, Broken

Raven

Stupid.

Stupid fucking brat.

Next time you damn well tell me before you go haring off. Then I can tell you what a goddamned stupid idea it is. Maybe shoot you a couple of times, just so I feel better. Sure you're in the papers, hell, you got your own five second spot on the national news -- heroic agent saves child, critically injured, more after this word from our sponsors. You'll probably get a medal or a citation out of it, but you ain't getting a plaque, you hear me. I ain't putting up no fucking plaque with a black border and a picture that don't look nothing like you, and seeing it out the corner of my eye every time I walk into the damn office.

I shoulda been there.

Wake up, come on. Wake up. Don't you fucking dare lie there, sleeping on the job.

I was only across the road.

Why the hell didn't you call? Don't tell me there was no time. Next time you fucking *make* time. I'm not having my agents risking their necks to save your worthless ass.

I don't mean that. God, JD. Dumb rookie. Look at you.

You ain't even breathing without a machine for it. And that medieval torture device on your leg...

You're gonna walk again.

I promise.

The shoulder'll be fine. And they fixed up that piece of ceiling you took with you when you came through the floor. Well, the building's collapsed so they aren't going to be fixin' that, but they got your bit out of your arm. And your gut. The burns aren't so bad. Josiah got hit worse'n you. You see, kid? Your mule-headed stubbornness got Josiah on the sick list too.

He'd have my head if I ever said that to either of you.

Next time, you fucking jump when I tell you, right? I don't care if you're going to break your goddamn neck, we'll get you. We'll catch you. God, JD. You trust us to catch a kid that can't even walk for itself, to us. But you can't trust yourself?

You do as I damn well tell you.

Buck? What is it? Is he...

Oh fer-- Buck, he's probably just dry. It doesn't mean anything.

Yeah. Right. And you're Mr. Cool-and-collected.

Nathan, *you* tell him.

Yes, Buck. I know you and the kid are friends. I'm even half inclined to believe you can tell he's awake under those bandages. Now settle down. He'll wake up when he's good and ready.

They keep saying that. When he's ready.

The anesthetic wore off a day ago.

The emergency surgery was over 28 hours ago.

They pulled you and Josiah out the rubble three days ago.

But you'll wake up when you're good and ready.

I need a drink.

Vin! Stop him! Get him out their way! Buck! Buck! Listen to me, no, dammit, I said *listen*! They have to work on him! They're going to, damn you, listen!

Look, Nathan's talking sense, you know that. Calm it down. Come on, you old pirate. He's breathing for himself. That's why the machine started beeping. It was telling them he was fighting it.

It's a *good* thing. Right. You listening now?

Geez. Next time I'm letting security throw you out. Bitch, bitch, whine. It's worse than Standish and his fucking clothes.

Well, it hurt my fist too. Quit complainin'.

Someone going to clean the kid up or what -- oh. Right. Fuck. Bet he's glad he's unconscious. Shit. Didn't think but yeah, guess they would have to change everything. Damn.

It was all going so well. Got the information. Got a clean set up, and an easy set of warrants. Swept in, cleared the building, arrested the perps, shitloads of evidence. DEA and our guys were in pig heaven. Dumbfucks recorded everything. Didn't take you a minute to break their passwords.

And the cops found the wires. Couldn't disarm it. We had more than enough time to clear the fucking building. And someone decided not to do the attic. *I* decided not to clear the attic.

There was nothing there, right? We'd already swept it once, right?

How was I to know that stupid bitch put her kid up there and told it to stay hidden till it was quiet.

I guess she didn't know about the bombs.

Or maybe she did, and we can slap her with two counts of attempted murder to go with the child endangerment and child abandonment, and the drugs and arms charges. Just as a bonus for nearly killing one of my boys.

Sorry I missed the attic. Sorry we didn't get you out of there before it blew. Sorry it was you, you stupid little shit.

Sorry I fucked up.

God, I'm so sorry.

Yeah? You sure you're gonna be okay? I can stay if you want? Okay. Well, seeya in the morning, pard. Try and get some sleep, or something.

Call me if--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damn, you been up all night, Bucklin? Cos I've gotta tellya, you look like a thousand miles of baaaad road. Damn near lost your voice too. You been reading to him all night? Damn fool. Get yourself round some food and go get some sleep.

No, don't give him-- Standish, what the hell did you go and give him *more* coffee for? I've seen fried eggs that looked more like normal human eyes than those things in his head.

Go the fuck home, Wilmington.

That wasn't a suggestion. Now git.

I thought Ez brought one. Or was it Nate? Heh. Gotya, Standish.

You boys are crazy. God knows why I put up with any of ya.

Kid looks better. Got some color. Normal color. Not too hot either. Fever's down I guess.

Ah, knock it off Buck. Sure I'll look after him. Just don't waft those damn pits of yours at me again.

If you're feeling that much better, Standish, maybe you can go sit with Josiah.

God, Buck, he'll be fine. Just go already.

Kid?

Well, damn, if I'd known we just had to throw him out to wake you up I'd'a got his ass out here on day one. Glad to seeya, kid.

Glad to seeya.


Back | front page | gen stories |

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the fandoms listed herein. I am certainly making no money off of these creative fan tributes to a wonderful, fun show.