Endless Night

Raven

After all that noise you'd think I'd be glad it was quiet. Quiet and dark. But I ain't. It's like sitting a death watch, an' I want loud and bright, dammit. I want you to wake up, kid, come on, open those sweet brown eyes.

This chair's just plain uncomfortable. Liable to do a man a mischief, between that and the jeans. Bit too tight. Reckon you might've had the right of it, kid. But they show off my 'assets', right? A guy's gotta make a bit of an effort, right? Right.

Wake up. Come on. Pay attention here. No ignoring your elders and betters.

It's your own damn fault. Anyone else woulda kept back. But oh no, you had to go running in there, just cos some fool left their brat in there. You shoulda *said* something, you know? Me, the guys, hell there were enough cops and firefighters swarming round there by then. We coulda done it.

So you saved the kid. Well done. I'll have the stone cutter do a nice etching of the medal on your headstone.

God, don't die, JD.

Damnfool boy.

That's what I'm gonna say at your funeral, you know. Damnfool boy never knew when he'd bit off more'n he could chew. Didn't have the sense the good Lord gave a three day old chick. When they was handing out common sense you was off asking angels questions till they just about threw you out just to get some peace an' quiet.

Geez. You ain't gonna die. Angels are prob'ly getting up a petition right now. 'Don't let him back in! we just got the place fixed up after the last time.' That's what they're saying. An' Hell won't have ya. Ol' Lucifer he's quaking in his hooves just at the thought, but you're a good kid.

You ain't going *nowhere*, y'hear me?

JD?

JD, you awake? Chris! Chris, he stuck his tongue out. Like he was tasting that damn thing they stuck down his throat or something. No, I saw it. He moved! Doc, he definitely moved. Come on kid, wake up just a little bit. You're worrying Chris something awful.

Oh, don't look at me like that, Larabee.

Maybe I'm a little concerned. Hell, I don't know if I'm goin' to make the mortgage next month if you ain't around to put up your half. Fuckit.

Oh Jesus! No! Get someone! God, what's happening, no, I want to see! let me see -- let *go* of me dammit! I swear I'm gonna -- JD, please, no! Tanner, I swear--

On his own? Jesus H. Christ on a crutch, kid. You damn near gave ol' Buck heart failure. You're sure? Right, right, yeah, okay. All that damn beeping and whistlin' and you gasping and retching. God. Thought you was quittin' on me there, kid. An' that just ain't acceptable, y'hear me? You paying attention there, kid?

Come on, wake up. Just a little bit. Come on, JD...

Go get some sleep, Chris. I'll keep an eye on him. Make sure he don't go running off somewhere without us.

Just you an' me, now kid. Ez promised me some coffee. Actually, he called it that aromatic nectar of the gods, so I guess he's gone out for it. Sure don't describe the hospital stuff. He'll be back in a bit. Josiah is fine. Well, he's going to be fine. One of the roof beams fell in on him when he was carrying your lazy butt out, but you know Josiah. Head hard as nails. Bit of a dent. Bit of concussion. Six stitches.

Nothing to rival your efforts. Y'know kid, it ain't a competition for who can get beat up the most. I mean, most of us've got nigh on twenty years on you. 'Cepting Ez and Vin, of course, but they're still ahead of you some. Ain't something you need to catch up on.

If I ever catch you pulling a fool stunt like that again, I'm gonna turn you over my knee, twenty three or no twenty three. Just for scarin' me like this.

Vin brought one of those damn books of yours over. Don't know what you see in it. Weirdass kinda vampires or something. I thought they were going to have sex right there, and then they were cutting holes in each other and drinking 'ichor'. What the hell is i-chore anyway? You mind if I read a bit? I'll read it out loud. You can join in anytime.

Any time at all.

JD?

Well, I'll get to reading then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mornin' Chris, boys. How's Josiah doin'?

JD? Oh, he's 'bout the same. Laying around doin' damn all, waiting for us to pick up after him.

No. No change.

What the hell happened to that damn coffee, Ez?

Ahhh.

No, I'm fine right where I am, thanks.

I *said*, I'm fine. Been reading to the kid. This thing. Damn strange books that boy reads. Don't see what's wrong with a good old Tom Clancy. Something to get your adrenaline running.

Well, because ain't nobody brought me a Tom Clancy.

Well, I didn't see it there.

Aw, shut up you miserable bastards. Just cuz I didn't see it there, don't mean I've gone soft.

Or senile.

Or blind, thank you Tanner. I'll remember this when *you're* tryin' to be a minist'rin' angel.

Ah, fuck the lot of ya. You keep an eye on him, Chris? I'm gonna get changed. Maybe have a shave.

That's my animal magnetism.

Har. Har. Cute, Standish. Real cute.

Hey kid, gonna be back in a couple of hours. Boys've twisted my arms. Both of 'em, and insisting I wash off some of that fine manly aroma I've been working up. Shut up, you louts.

You don't go anywhere, now, okay? You stay right there an' keep right on breathin', okay?

"Buck..."

Kid?


Back | Next | front page | gen stories |

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the fandoms listed herein. I am certainly making no money off of these creative fan tributes to a wonderful, fun show.