Labyrinth: Visions

"It's beautiful," he half whispered, turning slowly to look all around, arms wide to savour the freedom, the warmth of the sun beating unimpeded on his head and face. To the rear was more forest, the clearing where he stood perhaps not as much as twenty feet across. When he came full circle he stopped with a jolt. A man, his face in shadow, was standing before him. Facing south, the path of beginnings.

"What do you seek?"

Blair hesitated at the question. The man was completely unreadable with his face hidden; his voice gave no clues, was just calmly curious. He knew what was needed, that the answer had to be truthful... but it also had to be *right*. No letter-of-the-law answers here.

He reached inside himself, letting his eyes close. What did he seek? Not what he wanted, or where he wanted to go, but a search. Was he searching for something? The answer was easy.

"My Sentinel."

The man nodded. "He is not here, Shaman." Blair's heart sank. He hadn't even realised that he still held a tiny hope that this was a way to reach Jim, that he could be with his friend in some fashion, even when far apart physically. He knew, really, that he was the Shaman, he who should walk the spirit paths, but still... He sighed.

"I know. I seek -- " he paused, he *knew* this -it had to be phrased precisely; if he asked for something he did not really mean, or meant something he did not really say, then the answer would be worthless. "I seek the knowledge and wisdom to bring us together."

"In this place?"

Blair was about to say 'yes', when he paused, glancing up to meet the eyes of his companion. There was a warning there, and he took a deep breath.

"I seek the knowledge in this place. Not him. I --" his voice dropped to a whisper, "I want him, I want to see him so badly." He rubbed at his face, trying to push back emotions too close for comfort. He took a deep breath and went on in a stronger tone. "But I don't want to hurt him. If bringing him to this place would bring harm to him I don't want to do it. I won't ask it."

There was another nod. Did that mean it was the right answer, or just agreeing with Blair's wishes.

"So shall it be. Shaman."

"Yes?"

"Do you seek knowledge for yourself and your Sentinel only, or for others?"

That was easy. "For both. For us, so I can learn how to guide him better, and so we can get free, go back to what we're supposed to be doing - protecting the tribe. "

"He has a place already."

"In Cascade. Yes, I know, that's what I want--"

"No. Shaman, he *has* *a* *place*. He is preserving life, protecting others, doing what he has been trained to do. Without you."

Blair swallowed at the harsh words. "But, but, it isn't through his own choice. He would-- he could do so much more if we were together, if he was free to choose."

"But he is."

There was a blur of darkness and the jungle vanished.

Blair awoke. It was dawn. The red sunrise stained the clouds, laying stripes of pink and orange and white across his bed. He lay still, propped high on pillows and cushions, staring out of the windows as the sun edged higher and higher, at complete peace, his mind blank and free from fear or anxiety despite the ominous words of his spirit guide. For once, he was not planning the next step, not railing at his fate. Just for today he would consider his fate, his paths, past and present. His journey. And wait for the next time.


The Labyrinth: Prologue

The Labyrinth: Jim: End of Everything

The Labyrinth: Blair: Journey Begins

The Labyrinth: Jim: First Mission

The Labyrinth: Blair: Ordeal

The Labyrinth: Jim: Contact

The Labyrinth: Blair: Journey Man

The Labyrinth: Jim: Dreams

The Labyrinth: Blair: Visions

The Labyrinth: Jim: Ouroboros

The Labyrinth: Blair: The Circle Turns

The Labyrinth: Outside, Looking In

The Labyrinth: Epilogue

© Temaris 2001

Sentinel Page | Main page


Page last updated 18/09/2004.