One Legend, Two Destinies

The Players Take Their Places

by Grayswandir

 

Gaea
1 GU Green, the 12th Moon


“Lord Folken, the scouts have returned from the Zaibach borders.”

“And?” Folken growled.

“They found a campfire. There must have been five people following him. Best guess, they chased him further into the woods.”

“Any signs of a body?” Folken pressed.

“No. That’s the odd thing. No signs of a struggle, no blood. The tracks stop in the middle of nowhere. Either he doubled back, or he started flying.” The guard hypothesized.

“Not likely.” Folken dismissed the notion. Heaving a sigh, he continued. “If he had started flying, he would have turned around and caught up with Star Blaze. Now if he had simply doubled back, he would have seen the scout party and joined them.” Growling, Folken yanked his hair in front of him. “This is so nerve wracking. Where did he go?”

Hesitantly, the guard offered another option. “Perhaps, my Lord, he acquired some injuries, managed to hide by skipping across the treetops, and had passed out, thereby unable to have seen the search party.”

“An idea of merit.” Folken replied, absently. Still solemn in demeanor, mind racing through the possibilities, Folken sighed in frustration. “Have the scouts sent back out, double in number. Inform them of your theory and have them investigate every tree in that forest, every cave in the mountainside. Every hiding place is to be checked. I want my brother found.”

“As do we all, Lord Folken.” The guard bowed out respectfully.

Biting his lip, closing his eyes for a brief moment, Folken peered out into the night sky. ‘Oh god, Van. Now I understand why you hated me so much. Here I am, a full-grown adult, and I am barely able to hold my tears. I just wish you hadn’t disappeared. This reunification is shaky at best. Without you here, I don’t think I can hold it in your stead. Please, Van. I don’t want to lose you so soon after you accepted me back into your heart.

‘Where are you, brother?’ Silent tears once more slid down his pale cheeks. Sighing, Folken turned his attention back to the papers set before him.

Had he looked out again, he would have witnessed a flash, as bright as a star, upon the dark side of the Mystic Moon.


Earth – L1 Colony Cluster
February 12, AC 195


Dr. J chuckled to the cavernous observation room. ‘This candidate is very strong! I believe I have found one fitting to be a Perfect Weapon against all of human nature.’ J watched as the still nameless subject completed yet another simulation with minimal error.

// Mission: Failed, 2 Probability of Same Outcome in Real Life Sequence //

‘Not quite perfect, but he is coming along much faster and better than his predecessors. He will be ready ahead of schedule. Good. I had almost lost hope that my weapon would be complete for deployment. If I had more time, I would make him do everything in reality. How unfortunate that time is not.’

“You are an incompetent soldier! You failed to destroy all of your targets! You are absolutely useless!” An unnamed drill instructor railed into the science experiment.

“I am unable to understand why such a small error could constitute complete failure” A toneless, nearly silent voice answered.

The sound of flesh hitting flesh resounded through the training room as the instructor slapped the insolent soldier. “A SIMPLE error can cause serious repercussions in any future endeavors that may need to be executed! How dare you question my orders!”

The newly formed weapon stood frozen with his head turned in the direction of the slap. In stilted moves, he turned back towards the instructor. “I understand.”

Satisfied that Dr. J’s newest toy was disciplined for the time being, the instructor began the next course of simulation.


Gaea
1 GU Green, 18th Moon


“Lord Folken! With your brother still absent and with no indication of foul play, you must take measures!” An aged advisor roared lowly.

Folken growled as he turned to face the transgressor. “What you are proposing is blasphemy! I cannot just assume the throne! As I failed to complete the right of dragon slaying, I have no authority, nor desire, to perform such a task!”

Mildly cowed, the advisor trudged forth. “But you are of the blood and must therefore lead the citizens of Fanelia in their time of need! If you cannot do so, our already fragile nation shall disappear as if it never even existed! It will be as a smudge on someone’s charts.”

Suddenly exhausted, Folken collapsed into his seat. Swallowing loudly, Folken closed his eyes. Massaging his forehead with his propped arm, he took several deep breaths before replying. “If agreeing to do as you demand is my only recourse, then I shall do as you desire. But!” Folken sent a piercing stare toward the aged man, who had a suspiciously gleeful expression on his face, “if Van returns, he shall rule supreme.” As a crestfallen look took root, Folken ventured on. “And as I had once been listed as dead, and therefore non-existent, I insist on petitioning to all other nation sovereigns to accept me as Prince Regent with the expressed statement that no matter what occurs in the future, I shall never assume the role of king.

“And as you have been the strongest advocate for this drastic decision, you shall be the one delivering the proclamations.” Folken cheered inside as he watched the pushy advisor’s face transform into a cherry tomato. “If that is all?”

“I shall draw up the papers for your approval. Good day, my lord.” The now disgraced advisor shuffled out.

‘You never approved of the idea of my brother, a man one-fourth your age, being called king, have you? For that severe lack of respect, you shall suffer. Insolence towards my brother in his absence shall not be tolerated!’

Once more Folken stood at the window, gazing at the now darkening sky.

“Come back, my dear sweet brother.”


:Back: | :Next:

.:Back to Gray's:.

 

To receive email for new and updated fiction:
Click here to join twin_swords
Click to join twin_swords