What Now?

51 - Old Mommy

by Werewindle

 

Eris hummed to herself as looked for just the right whip to use on Athena. She felt a little smug, she knew this time she’d get this 'mother' thing right. She was after all off to a good start.

Eris had seen how close her Strife was to those triplets. They'd looked like a pile of war pups all curled together sleeping when she'd gone to check on Strife earlier. If her baby was going to get attached to mortals he was going to get hurt - cause mortals die.

But she'd taken care of that. Like the saying goes an apple a day keeps the healer away. And Olympian apples are ever so better for you then mortal ones.

Eris picked up a thin black whip and tested it out, she ginned at the sharp snap. This would do nicely.


52 - New Mommy

Hephaestus stuck the metal he was working on back into the forge fire, heating the metal red hot again. He worked steadily - heating and pounding, folding and cooling, heating and pounding, folding and cooling - over and over again, totally focused on his work.

This was the most important thing he'd ever created, save perhaps Dite's bonding ring. A gift for his son. Strife's emblem, the symbol of his godhood had shattered when he died. Hephaestus was making him a new one - beautiful and wicked, just like Strife.

The design was light and strong, edged only on one side of the gently curving blade. The handle would be wrapped in black leather and raw gray silk with the deepest, clearest blue sapphire he'd ever seen inset so it could be seen from either side.

It would be a true warriors blade. A weapon befitting his son. Strong enough to protect him forever.


53 - Sunlit

The sun was just starting it's decent as the Twelve gathered again. The Binding of Five was released and Athena escorted out. When she refused to disrobe Hera cut them from her. The action of running the knife over Athena's limbs more humiliating then if Hera had just unmade them. The Wisdom goddess was fitted with a power binding cuff before the chains were removed.

Apollo, Hephaestus, Hera and Artemis flanked Athena as she started across Olympus. If she tried to skip a temple she was roughly prodded to it. At each temple Athena knocked and waited for the occupant to answer. Stiffly she asked them to witness her punishment at the pavilion in the central gardens. Assured by the presents of the scowling, serious faces on her guards all agreed.

News travels fast and you could see in the distance gods and goddesses slipping into their temples to await their turn. Athena fumed, the setting sun lit up the gleaming marble temples making their mocking expressions unmistakable. Those that had been slighted or hurt by Athena in the past didn't bother to hide their glee.


54 - Pavilion

The pavilion was a huge square. The pillars, at corners and two on each side a soft dove gray marble almost competently concealed by climbing ivy. The roof was high over head with linen panels that could be dropped to the floor offering welcome shade for gatherings.

Today the tables and pleasant loungers had been removed and no effort had been taken to shade those milling in and around the pavilion. Hephaestus had been there earlier and attached eyebolts, cuffs and chains between two of the pillars to hold Athena.

Finally the naked goddess made her way to the central garden. Hephaestus and Ares clamped the cuffs on her and tightened the slack until she had no room to move.

It was time for her punishment and every resident of Olympus was watching.


55 - Just the Beginning

Athena whimpered as she was lowered to the pavilion floor. She had endured hours of punishment at the hands of her accusers.

Her silence at the beginning turned into cursing. Ares first swats did little damage, just annoying flicks of the cane against her back. Athena still clung to the belief that her father would halt her beating at the sight of her tears and calculated pout. The first time Ares cane smacked her for real that hope evaporated. Ares didn't break Athena's skin, he laid down an even ladder of welts from shoulders to knees.

Eris took her turn. The wicked whip she'd chosen snapped out again and again, not so precise as her brother. Thin lines of red began to appear webbing across her back and sides beaded with blood.

The gathered gods looked on their humor having faded. Most had not realized the severity of Athena's crime. The extent of her punishment served to chastise many of the lower level gods that had looked upon Athena's actions as admirable or expected.

Apollo went after the unmarked parts of Athena. He scored her calves, the souls of her feet, palms, front and inner thighs and stomach. Every movement she made tomorrow would hurt. A lasting reminder of her punishment and a warning against further misbehavior.

Athena was carted off to be cleaned up and settled into the cot in her room at Zeus' temple. While her corporal punishment had ended this was only the beginning of her sentence. Tomorrow the lessons would really begin. Hopefully Athena would take them to heart.


A/N
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English spadu; akin to Greek spathE blade of a sword or oar

.:Previous:. | .:Next:.

.:Back to the Den:.

 

To receive email for new and updated fiction:
Click here to join twin_swords
Click to join twin_swords