What Now?

9 - A Birthday Celebration

by Werewindle

 

"It's a festival! A gala! A birthday Celebration! Come join the citizens of Corinth in commemorating our beloved King’s thirty second-"

"Thirty third."

"Hmm?"

"It's his thirty third year."

"His thirty third birthday." The announcer gestured grandly before turning to his assistant puzzled. "You're sure?"

"It was his thirty second *last* year."

"Huh. How bout that." He shook his head. Raising his voice he started again. "Three more days of theater, music and street performances, as well as open markets with venders from lands near and far. Culminating in a city wide masked revelry! An event you won't want to miss!"

The other man took over here, "The city of Corinth is glad to host the Painted Trollop Band, the Widow Twanky's dancers, Abandon Reef Chorus and many more including Corinth's own Bent River Performers!"

Travelers hurried past excited to join the festivities held in the city proper.

"Wow. They sure are going all out this year." an perky blond remarked to his companion.

"Hmm." the taller man grunted in reply.

"What's the matter big guy?"

"Nothing... That last group mentioned - did their name seem," he made a vague gesture, "Salacious, to you?"

"Um no? They're named after a river. How could a river be salacious?"


10 - Takin in a Show

Noise spilled out into the streets from full taverns where performers were fighting for time almost as much as people fought for a view. It seemed the whole city of Corinth was in high spirits. The two travelers weaved their way through the foot traffic heading for a favorite inn in hopes there would be an open room.

The proprietor's daughter waved them off to wait for his return. Most of the were out side behind the building and they went out to what was going on. They found a spot along the wall - the shorter resorting to standing on an upturned crate to see over the crowd.

They got caught up in the play about a greedy old selling off his daughters as brides. They were quite shocked when a the boy-turned-bride's veil lifted to reveal a familiar face.

"Joxer?!"


11 - What?

"Oh. My. Gods! Did you hear? Hercules is here! He watched our play!" one of the younger Bent performers exclaimed, practically bouncing out of his costume in excitement. Jett growled in annoyance as Joxer stiffened in surprise. Jayce pulled them over to the side where Scythas was checking over his amour for any tears from his earlier bout.

"What is that goody-goody doing here? Can't his brother put him up at the palace?" you could practically feel the loathing in Jett's voice.

"I'm sure they're just here to enjoy the show." Jayce tried to reason.

"I still don't like it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Herc? Hey big guy, snap out of it." Iolaus shook Hercules' shoulder.

"What? Erm, was that Joxer in a dress? That had to be Jayce, right? Didn't Xena say his brother was a performer?"

"I think so. Maybe we should hang around and see if Joxer is here too."

"No!" Hercules flushed, "I think I'm going to head to bed. Want to get up early in the morning and head to the palace." The demi-god hurried off to find the proprietor.

"What is up with him?"


12 - Drags On...

Ares stifled another yawn. His father had been droning on an on for hours now. Ranting about his lack of respect, whining about something or other and just generally wasting everyone's time. Zeus got like this sometimes, petulant - like his favorite son.

That thought brought a grimace to his face. Hercules. How Ares hated him. The demi-god would not leave him *alone*. Why couldn't the man be more like his mortal bother? Iphicles showed the proper respect, never tore up his temples. Which reminded him, Iphicles' birthday was soon.

Maybe he'd pop down to Corinth and see what kind of festivities they had going on. There had to something entertaining going on. Ares jerked in surprise as Zeus' voice rose suddenly, spittle flying as he went off on another tangent.

That was of course, if this meeting ended sometime in the next few hours. *sigh*


13 - Him

Ares drifted through Corinth unseen. Stopping here and there to listen to a compelling bard, a bawdy story or a captivating dance. He was enjoying his time away from Olympus and his duties. The last months had been hard the festival was a good distraction.

Ares wandered out of a packed tavern in time to catch a most unwelcomed sight.

Hercules.

His bane and the little sidekick.

What were the duo doing here instead of the palace. Ares scowled at the Hercules - he hoped the brat wasn't trying to cause trouble.

Ares relaxed mood had evaporated. Somehow he knew the little cretin would cause a ruckus.

Without realizing he'd followed Hercules and Iolaus into a inn.


14 - Life

Ares watched as his half brother and his blond companion wandered out back to watch whatever performance was going on. He sighed and faded into view, disguised just in case, and found a table in the corner. Ares materialized a cup of ale, swishing the liquid around but not drinking.

He was getting paranoid and edgy. Too much work, too much stress and too little enjoyment.

Strife's death had really disturbed him. He knew his nephew would be resurrected, that he would have him back soon but he still missed the brat. Sighing Ares took a swig of ale and watched the people passing through. Perhaps he'd have to peek in on Strife later. He'd promised Ace he'd quit checking on the reforming god so obsessively (Ares could admit that once an hour might have been excessive). He'd managed to stayed away for a long week - Strife was due a visit.

A sudden cheer drew Ares attention to the crowd beyond the back doors.


15 - Unexpected Sight

Wondering what was going on Ares followed the traffic out the back door of the in. He saw his half brother's hulking form not to far away so Ares kept to the wall. The War god watched the play taking place on the obviously temporary stage. He was intrigued by one player in particular. He was obviously male though costumed in a wedding gown befitting a young virginal maiden. Ares soon caught the plot of the play, a slight smirk gracing his lips at the absurdity.

When time came to unveil the beauty Ares found himself holding his breath along with most of the audience. A fission of lust swept over him swiftly followed by recognition. Ares was aware that his mouth was probably hang open. He was knocked out of his state of shock by the sight of his half brother barreling toward the inn's doors. Ares stepped further back into the shadows as he past before turning his attention back to the end of the play.

Joxer in a dress was not a sight Ares ever expected to see, not that War had thought much about this particular worshiper. Still Ares had to admit there was something oddly graceful about the man with out his customary 'armor'.


.:Previous:. | .:Next:.

.:Back to the Den:.

 

To receive email for new and updated fiction:
Click here to join twin_swords
Click to join twin_swords