What Now?

16 - Sleeping Beauty... er, Strife

by Werewindle

 

After the play some local band clambered on to the stage, something about their singing set Ares teeth on edge. The crowed seemed to enjoy it but to his godly ears it was less then pleasing. Ares started to flash out but paused, wavering on his destination. He had planed on see Iphicles tonight but after thinking about Strife earlier the need to see him was great.

Ares shimmered out of view reappearing in the Halls of War - he could always see Iphicles after checking on Strife.

Ares placed his hand on the richly carved door waiting for the shielding spell to recognize him so he could enter. War closed the door behind him and moved across the outer sitting area of Strife's rooms to the sleeping chamber beyond.

Unlike the rest of the Temple, done in Ares preferred black and reds, Strife's rooms were decorated in shades of gray and blue. The effect was oddly soothing and not at all what most would expect from the often manic younger god. But Ares hadn't been surprised by the choice. He knew there was more to his nephew then his public persona.

Ares entered the Strife's bedroom eyes drawn to the figure on the high bed. His anxiety eased as it always did at the sight of the regenerating god laying safely tucked in his bed.

Ares brushed a stray lock of hair from the pale face - different then it used to be but no less loved. The older god sat on the side of the bed and took Strife's hand in his own. His thumb brushed over delicate bones tracing the vivid blue veins beneath the pale skin.

Ares brow furrowed in puzzlement. There was something... not... right, about the hand he was holding.


17 - Colorless

Ares called for Apollo practically screaming when the other god brushed off his first summons. Apollo appeared with a disgruntled look on his face.

"What?" the Sun God asked petulantly, he'd been in the middle of a delicate seduction and didn't appreciate the interruption.

"There is something wrong with Strife. He feels less substantial then he should." Ares explained giving the other god a look that warned against his attitude. Apollo stepped closer hand going to rest on Strife's forehead.

"Hmm." Apollo's demeanor changed as he examined the regenerating god. Strife did indeed feel odd. Apollo let his healer's sight come forth and looked at the power structure of the younger god. "That can't be." Apollo muttered.

"What is wrong? What do you see?" Ares demanded as dread settled like ice around his bones.

"Nothing." Apollo replied absently as he studied the form on the bed. A hand squeezed his wrist drawing him out of his reverie. He turned to face Ares. "I don't think this is Strife. It's like a shell, a Strife shaped place holder, but not Strife himself. Where his god-spark should be there is nothing."

"Someone reversed his regeneration? I thought Hades said that once his soul was here the regeneration couldn't be stopped - short of killing him again." Ares held back a snarl.

"No. If his soul had popped back up in the Underworld Hades would have alerted us immediately. This is something else. His core should be black - like the void we came from, instead it's just... Colorless."


18 - Wrong Color

"How can that be? If this is not Strife then where is he? And what in Hades' name is this!?" Ares roared.

"It is a Shade - something like a living doll. If you didn't look closely then it could pass for Strife. The only flaw is that it seems to be fading. Well that and the fact the creator couldn't replicate the power center of a true god. It flows the same, gives the same impression but as I said it's colorless instead of black."

"So someone made this and stuck it here. But what did they do with Strife? He won't be fully regenerated for another month - would he have been stable enough to move?"


19 - What's in a Shade

"He was past the unstable mark, but he would still need to be kept under the quarantine shield." Apollo reassured Ares. He leaned closer to the Shade trying to identify the power signature of its creator. "If we can figure out who created this then we can find Strife." Apollo scanned through layers of the Shade's construct growing more frustrated with each.

"They were tricky though. The creator hide their tracks well." The Sun god pinched the bridge of his nose eyes strained from searching.

"Let's send it back." Ares stood moving around to the opposite side of the bed from Apollo.

"Send it back how?"

"Wake it up. It's a living doll, right? Wake it up and command it to return to it's creator."


20 - Bringing the Shade to Life

"How are we going to do this?" Apollo asked, pulling power to him for a major working.

"The base work is already there, we'll just push the sentience to the next level. Enough to understand and follow orders but not enough to have free will. Like those imps you made for the muses." Ares was pulling power to himself as well. "You do the working and I'll feed you power; it'll be faster and leave us both charged for when we find who took Strife."

Apollo nodded his consent and placed his right hand over the Shade's brow. Ares laid his hand over Apollo's waiting for the other god to start before feeding him a thread of his power. The work took long minutes because of the complexity. Finished they stepped back from the bed .

The shade opened its eyes, "Up," commanded Apollo. It stood staring straight ahead at the wall.

Ares came to stand in front of the Shade. "You know your creator?" The Shade nodded. "Who is it?" The shade opened it's mouth but couldn't speak. "Well I suppose that would have been too easy," Ares remarked. The War god masked the Shade, making him invisible to everyone but he and Apollo. With an other wave of his hand he slapped a tracer on the Strife look-alike, just in case.

"You will lead us to your creator. Stray no farther then a meter from us. Understand?" The Shade nodded. "Go." Ares barked the command quickly following, Apollo by his side.


21 - Follow the Leader

Ares and Apollo trailed the doppelganger across Olympus passing temple after temple. He seemed to be heading toward Zeus' blue monstrosity but suddenly stopped and cocked his head to the side. A moment later the Shade back tracked and head another direction.

Finally the were walking up the steps of a rather austere temple. Apollo and Ares shared a look, both ready for the confrontation ahead. They followed the Shade through the main hall and to the private chambers. They entered a study and the Shade went to stand behind the rooms only other occupant.

"Ares, Apollo - what are you two doing here?"


22 - Confrontation

"We came to see you Sister dear." Apollo answered false sweetly, Ares just glowered.

"What ever for? Is there something I can help with?"

"We just need you to answer a few questions for us." Apollo moved to stand next the desk where she sat leaving Ares to guard the door.

"Oh?"

"Starting with what you've done with Strife." Ares voice was menacing.

Their Sister tried to flash away but couldn't. Apollo grabbed her arm dragging her around the desk. "Did we forget to mention we sealed off your temple?"

"Were. Is. Strife?" Ares asked again. Apollo gave her a shake when she clamped her lips tight refusing to answer. "You had better start talking Bitch."


23 - Interrogation

"We will be getting our answers one way or another." Ares leaned close, "Do you think daddy dearest will protect you, hmm? Not from this - you've broken the rules Athena. Nothing can stop me from taking retribution."

"Answer us now, answer us truthfully and we'll spare you - let the tribunal decide your fate." Apollo told her.

Athena struggled but could not break free of their hold on her. "Fine. But you won't find the brat here. I dropped his ass in the Mortal realm." Athena smirked at Ares.

War slammed his palm into Athena's chest sending a power blast through her. The goddess went flying across the study and hit a marble wall, cracking it. Ares pulled the moaning Athena up by her hair. "Start from the beginning, leave nothing out."

"I forced the regeneration process-"

"How?" Ares gave her head a shake.

"Ung. I made a salve: essence of golden apple and liquid ambrosia. I rubbed it into Strife's skin to speed the regeneration-"

"Bitch!" Apollo slapped Athena. "That process is extremely painful, not to mention risky! You could have overloaded Strife's body, he'd have been in agony for weeks healing the damage!"

Ares gave Athena another shake, "Then what did you do?"

"I put a power inhibitor on him, dressed him and dropped him some where in Greece."

"Where?" Ares ground out.

"I don't know! I just sent him away."

"So Strife is wandering the Mortal plane - in agony, probably nearly insane from his memories returning while his mind was still fragile?" Apollo raised his hand to slap her again.

"No! I blocked his memories! They won't return until the power inhibitor is taken off! I swear."

"You had better not be lying and pray we find Strife before something happens too him or there won't be enough of you left to bring back." Ares warned Athena.


.:Previous:. | .:Next:.

.:Back to the Den:.

 

To receive email for new and updated fiction:
Click here to join twin_swords
Click to join twin_swords