What Now?

34 - Strange Temples

by Werewindle

 

Scythas - he still couldn't think of himself as Strife - looked around the temple Ares claimed he lived in. Nothing so far was familiar. Scythas was starting to get edge, he wanted answers and he wanted his friends unfrozen. The gods had left them standing in a room full of scrolls, safely tucked away supposedly, while they tried to prove he was this Strife person.

He was still skeptical, he looked nothing like the painting in the grand hall. Scythas might not remember his past but he did know his own face and that was not it. Scythas turned to Ares and stated quite plainly that he wanted his friends and then his questions answered.

The War god agreed and turned to lead them back to his friends. They passed a room Scythas had not been in and he turned his head to look into the open door. He hesitated the barest moment at the threshold before hurrying to catch up with Ares.

That room was done in the same shades as the errant flash of memory he'd had of his bedroom upon first waking in the woods that day. A tiny sliver of hope took root. Perhaps they weren't lying, maybe he was home.


35 - No More Waiting

Scythas touched Joxer's shoulder as he was unfrozen. He wanted to reassure his friend incase he was disoriented. Joxer blink and looked around puzzled at their surroundings. "What happened?"

"I'll explain after the others are woken, okay?" Scythas waited for Joxer's nod before turning him to face his still frozen brothers. Jett and Jayce were woken together. They took the news of their relocation well. Jayce recognized Apollo, who was one of his patron Gods. Joxer squeaked at the sight of Ares but quickly gathered his composer - at least enough to talk coherently. Jett nodded once at Ares in recognition but was otherwise silent.

Ares took them to a room that looked like it's only purpose was for lounging about. The triplets and Scythas fit quite comfortably on one couch while Ares and Apollo took adjacent chairs. Scythas had been firmly pulled to sit between Jayce and Joxer so they could lend him support while Jett sat on the other side of Joxer eyes wary.

"Strife-" Ares started only to be interrupted.

"You keep calling me that but I look nothing like the painting of him."

Joxer looked back and forth between the gods and Scythas, eyes wide and unsure. "I thought that Strife had died." Joxer gripped his friends hand tightly. "How can he be Strife if Strife is gone."

"Explain." Scythas demanded of Ares, voice hard.

"Alright, but it's complicated, just give us a chance to finish before you interrupt." Ares had an earnest expression on his face, this was obviously important to him. Ares wait for their consent before starting.

"A few months ago..."


36 - Parents

"Strife was killed. That event and those leading up to it are best left for another time. The important part is that he was missed. He was my nephew and I loved him like a son. Eris - his mother, Cupid, Aphrodite, Hephaestus and I as well as a few others demanded his return.

Hades granted our petition and agreed to release his soul. The only problem was that Strife's body had been poisoned by Hinds blood and totally destroyed. In order get a new body Strife would have to either have to be placed and carried to term as a godly baby - something his mother can not do - or another body had to be created for him."

Ares paused and Apollo picked up the thread, since this was his area of expertise.

"Neither is easy but with Eris unable to carry another child it was decided to create Strife a new body. That body would essentially be grown from blood and power donated by his parents. Eris and Strife had rough relationship, one that Eris has come to regret.

She declined to give blood to regenerate Strife, instead she asked Ares - her twin - to do so in her stead. She hoped that his life would be better this time around as Ares' son then it had been as hers.

Ares agreed and Hephaestus offered to donate his blood as the second parent. He had no blood children of his own but had always had a soft spot for Strife. The reason you look different then the painting is because of Ares and Hephaestus. You get your looks from them just as you would had they created you the normal way."


37 - More Questions

"Fine. If you care about me so much why the hell did I wake up in the middle of the woods with no weapons, no memory and no money?" Scythas still held Joxer's hand glad for the support.

"We didn't know. You were regenerating under a quarantine shield in your room. You weren't supposed to wake up for weeks. I went to check on you and noticed something was wrong." Ares jaw twitched. "You'd been taken and there was a shade in your place - a living doll." He clarified.

"We found out that Athena had forced you to regenerate early and sent you away. She'd planned on the shade fooling us until you were meant to awaken. As soon as we knew you were in the Mortal realm we started looking for you."

"Why would Athena do that? Did I do something to her? And why if I'm... regenerated can't I remember? I mean I should, right? Or did I misunderstand that." Strife asked rapidly, looking back and forth between Apollo and Ares.

Apollo took a turn answering. "We're not sure why Athena did it. She wouldn't tell us. She will go before the council tonight we'll find out then and her punishment will be decided. As for your memories they are blocked as are your powers. Which is a good thing actually."

"How can that be a good thing?" Joxer piped up.

"Athena could force your body to regenerate but you can't force the mind. A god's mind has to be able to manipulate their powers and store millennia of memories, skills, knowledge. If your memories had been allowed to return as they should have once the regeneration was complete your mind couldn't have handled it. It would have driven you insane."

"Fuck." Scythas-Strife swore, he looked shell shocked.

"Yeah. Which is why we can't return you memories to you now."

"But I will get them back."

"Yes, soon." Ares reassured him. "Until then you'll stay here where it's safe."

"What about tonight's performances? If we don't return the rest of the troupe will be worried." Jayce spoke up.


.:Previous:. | .:Next:.

.:Back to the Den:.

 

To receive email for new and updated fiction:
Click here to join twin_swords
Click to join twin_swords