• Ernie Barnes:
  •    One of the few African-American artists I am familiar with. I came to know him by watching "Good Times," the very popular and poignant show of the 1970s that depicted the stuggling ghetto life of an inner city African-American family. Barnes' works were used as a basis for the character J.J. Evans who was, to me, an extreme opposite of how one would react in any depressing situation. J.J. was outgoing, optimistic, charismatic, aloof, bold and loud, even when the odds were against his favor. He was, to put it simply, larger than life. Barnes' paintings only highlighted and supported that persona because the bodies of the subjects appeared to be stretched beyong their capabilties, very lithe and tight and strong with buggling muscles and twisting torsos. Regardless of the situations they were placed in, Barnes' subjects had a way of demonstrating a different emotion other than what they were given, very much like the characters on "Good Times."

  • Robert Crumb:
  •    The Master of Satirical Obscenity. I became familiar with Robert Crumb after watching Terry Zwigoff's highly provocative and emotional documentary Crumb. The film was very personal and had all of the comforts of an exposed wound. But I loved the way Crumb was able to channel the oddities and abuses of his life into such quirky and crude cartoons that were not only disturbing, but funny. His love/hate of the female body in all is realness, and by real I mean not tooth-picked or starved too death, but luscious and sloshing over almost everything in its path, is very inspiring. Even when the female may be the subject of ridicule or disgusting male fantasies, there is still a hold of power that she has that is indescribable. It's just twisted, something beyond human explanation. I dare people to simply check it out and draw their own conclusions. If anything, open your mind and enjoy.

  • Salvador Dali:
  •    What more can be said about Dali that hasn't already been shouted across ever genre of art? Some believe he is the godfather of surrealism while I simply appreciate him for being original, weird and highly innovative. Despite his eccentricities, Dali managed to produce works that were not only awe-inspiring, but professional and classsic.

    For more on Salvador Dali's works, please feel free to check out this site as well:    The Salvador Dali Gallery.

  • Lori Earley:
  •    An engaging artist whose works combine classical realism and distortion.

  • Frank Frazetta:
  •    One of the world's most influential science fiction and fantasy artists. Like with Robert Crumb, I became interested in Frazetta after watching his documentary, Frazetta: Painting With Fire. I loved his way of depicting and interpreting the human form in such complex and imaginative environments. Frazetta is prolific and uniquely strong, even at his old age. His art, like his family, is precedent in his life and I respect an individual who can balance both challenges while maintaining a sense of captivating creativity. He's definitely an artist whose influence has cascaded over the last several decades. Just take a look at any comic book or watch action packed films with curvy and seductive women like Heavy Metal or Conan the Barbarian.

  • Sarah Joncas:
  •    It is difficult to pinpoint the works of Sarah Joncas, which makes her quite a unique artist. Her use of color and symbols, as well as themes that range from delicious fantasy to shocking reality, are quite a feast for the eyes.

  • Audrey Kawasaki:
  •    I was introduced to Audrey's works through the lovely and talented friend of mine. Audrey's works are very seductive and complex, yet there is a simplicity about them that is almost ethereal and somewhat attainable. Each time I venture to her site, I'm overtaken with the urge to create because there is something about the designs and projections of her paintings that make art appear irresistible and lucid.

    If you are one needing a burst of artistic inspiration or simply want something beautiful to gaze upon, check out Audrey Kawasaki's site!

  • Bill Plympton:
  •    I recall Plympton saying that normal people tend to create the most disturbing art. If that is the case, then Bill Plympton appears to be the most normal human being on the planet.

    I remember seeing Your Face and How to Kiss and just being blown away at the absurdity and craziness of it all. Plympton's style is like no other I've ever seen or encountered. It's so loose, as if it's done by someone who doesn't take himself too seriously, which he doesn't. If you've had the pleasure of seeing his animated shorts or films, you're seeing the works of someone who definitely thinks outside of the box. No constraints, restraints or boundaries in terms of sex, politics, humanity, ideals and all around creativity.

    I appreciate the fact that Plympton makes art appear fun and easy. When I say easy, I don't mean to belittle what he offers or does. What I mean is that he makes art accessible, as if anyone who ever really wanted to create or draw, could.

    And because of that projection, he's one of my favorite artists.

    For more on Bill Plympton's works, please go to:    Bill Plympton On-Line!

  • Isabel Samaras:
  •    I became familiar with Isabel's works in an extremely colorful book entitled Pop Surrealism: The Rise of Underground Art. I was fascinated by her use of pop icons in very traditional and renaissance-like atmospheres, some doing quite unusual, but what I consider "normal", things. She is a terribly gifted and wicked artiste. To try and find the right words to describe her is moot. All I can say is that you must check out her site to enjoy the randomness of it all.

  • Mike Thompson:
  •    I have no clue how I got into Mike Thompson, but I must say that I'm glad I did. His portraits are like liquid candies smeared across the canvas. They are so bright and vivid that one wonders if their fingertips will disappear with the slightest touch against the canvas.

  • Klaus Voorman:
  •    What can I say about Klaus Voormann that possibly hasn't already been said by countless music heavyweights, dear friends or envious artists? I'm most familiar with Klaus due to his relationship with THE Beatles, art wise (Revolver and the Anthology paintings) and music wise (played bass for George Harrison and John Lennon on many of their solo projects).

    Once I discovered his site, I was quickly shown what an eclectic talent this man is. His talents range from basic graphite to sculpture and all of it simply fascinates me. He makes art look effortless and playful, almost pyschedelic, teetering between the fine and the commercial.

    Venture to Voorman's site where you can view his visual accounts of THE Beatles early days in Hamburg and possibly purchase a print or two while reading up on his biography.

    "Tabu," the drawing of a very young John Lennon mimicking a manical priest while leaning out the window, is one of my personal faves.

Back to Intro