Season 5

Do I need to tell you this page contains some spoilers?

See Fox press release for brief information about the final four episodes of the season, all airing in May.

Despite many other shows running their 1997-98 season premieres in September, due to the filming of the X-Files movie (to be released in summer 1998) and baseball playoffs, the fifth season of "The X-Files" didn't begin until Nov. 2. The delay was due in part to the filming of the coming X-Files movie, due out in June, 1998. As a result, there will be only 20 episodes this year.

The new season began with the first of a two-part conclusion to last year's finale. In the finale, Scully reported to her FBI bosses that Mulder has committed suicide. Meanwhile, she is dying of cancer, which she says Mulder told her she was given by "the Cigarette Smoking Man" (aka "Cancer Man," aka "Black-lunged Sonofabitch"). Fox teased with the prospects of Cancer Man next running to save her life in an unusual way. And, we learned in the first part, "Redux," that Mulder isn't really dead (but we knew that, since David Duchovny still has a contract through the end of next year).

Prior to the season premiere, the network threw us a bone with one of the best episodes of last year, "Small Potatoes," guest-starring that god, Darin Morgan, who left the X-Files and now works on "Millennium."

The X-Files can be seen on Fox stations at 9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT, in stereo and closed captioned.

The X-Files is a property of Fox Television and Ten Thirteen Productions, and no copyright infringement is intended.

Nic's Abode | Back to X-Files